Help me diagnose this noise - please!

Lifters? Sounds like valvetrain. Try a stethascope or take the valve covers off and check your lash

Did you replace the torque at the same time the engine was out? I have heard some torque converters do this. In fact mine does.

Mine sounds very much like yours and recently rebuilt...I'm looking for exhaust leak or loose something. I'll let you know what my car is doing IF I figure it out...I'll follow this thread in the meantime!:biggrin:

Decided to pull the engine again. I drained the oil and found a bunch of fine non magnetic metal particles in it. I also found some slivers of metal on the drain plug. I am not happy.

Decided to pull the engine again. I drained the oil and found a bunch of fine non magnetic metal particles in it. I also found some slivers of metal on the drain plug. I am not happy.

Cam sensor and cam interference?:confused: They probably did the same thing to mine!!

Noise can be very difficult to diagnose, If you can get at least an idea of where its coming from before you take anything apart that is best. Once you cripple it then it's paralysis by analysis, As was suggested use a rubber hose ( piece of heater hose works good ) listen to the front cover,idler pully, valve covers, Intake manifold ,oil pan etc. where is it the loudest, Does it make more noise when cold or hot,Back or front of the engine. In gear or out, Does it have good oil pressure, How many miles on the engine. Specifics would be more helpful. So put that wine bottle down & report back with more info.

I can hear the rockers clicking a bit, but I think I hear a different rattle just off idle, maybe camshaft thrust bumper problem.

Kevin.

Engine has 100 miles on it. Oil pressure was 30 psi hot with 10w30 oil. Just pulled the engine apart, and found the front cam bearing worn out already, and the thrust bearing showing a copper color. The main bearings looked good, and the rod bearings look good too. Could the front cam bearing have caused the clicking? I was thinking maybe as the cam turned, it wore into the front bearing and set the valve train geometry off? What would cause the thrust bearing the be worn like that?

Attachments

• thrust.jpg
    thrust.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 245
  • frontcam.jpg
    frontcam.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 272
More pics

Let me know what else you want to see.

Attachments

• rodcaps (Medium).jpg
    rodcaps (Medium).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 257
  • maincaps.jpg
    maincaps.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Cam2.jpg
    Cam2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 251
I would ask if engine was primed before actual startup, if not done properly engine might have suffered this damage in a few seconds of running with no oil pressure or very limited because of trapped air in the system, either way I feel for you and the frustration you must be experiecing right now. good luck brother, hope you can get her straightened out and back on her feet soon.

Kevin.

Engine was primed. Had the drill on it for a while, and there was a lot of oil squirting out the pushrods. Thanks for the support.

Dont get all worked up over it. Probably just engine assembly lube.

Edit- Sorry I didnt look at the pics first, I think that wear is a little much for a new re-build.

Does this wear look normal on a 100 mile engine? I didn't set the thrust bearing properly I was told. My endplay was .010. Could a bad front cam bearing cause the engine to tick?

cam bearing

when I first heard thats the first thing I thought was a bearing my car sounded the same way before the rebuild.:cool: :cool:

My $.02...

IMO, those rod and main bearings look to be far from "good". Looks to me as tho they were run low on oil,[or too tite], and have alot of dirt thru them. Also, the rear 3 mains are looking much different than the ft..
Was the crank turned?
The ft oil galley plugs look to be awfully far into the galleys...
What were the brg clearances set to? And, how were they measured?