Help Help Help!!!!!

upslp

UnDeR PrEsSuRe!!
I need you guys! My car is acting stupid! I will start from the begining: I was driving on 3 gallons of fuel, I pulled into the gas station and poured about 25 bucks worth(which we all knowe aint much). Well I pulled off and I went to step on it the car began to pull and at about 6lbs fell on its face like it ran out of fuel. I went home and parked it assuming it had gotton air in the line from being so low. The next day I went out and got about 2 blocks from the house and it did it again this time without stepping on it. I called around got different opinions: I changed coil pack and module, I changed mass air, plugs. Couple days didnt do anything, figured its ok. Went to the track and all with no problems.

Couple days later going to work same thing. I watched the millivolts and they dropped big time! I figured maybe the pump?

Called around again was told that wasnt it or it would do it all the time. I have my chip set for lean cruise figured maybe the chip was acting up and engaging lean cruise at the wrong time or something, took the lean cruise off and on the way home the weirdest thing happend!

I got to the light by work and while waiting the idle kicked up real high! I pulled off and as I was driving I could hear little misses, I watched the millivolts and they were very low. then It cleared up on its own. I got home and when I put the car in park the idle jumped up to like 1900!:confused:

I dont know what to try next!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

How do you know if your chip is going bad or your computer???:confused:

PLEASE HELP BOUT TO SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:frown:

fuel pump???

I have a hotwire kit on my pump and both that and the pump are like 2 months old! Should I try cleaning the connections? Should I try maybe a new hotwire? Should i just change the pump????

I need you guys! My car is acting stupid! I will start from the begining: I was driving on 3 gallons of fuel, I pulled into the gas station and poured about 25 bucks worth(which we all knowe aint much). Well I pulled off and I went to step on it the car began to pull and at about 6lbs fell on its face like it ran out of fuel.

I watched the millivolts and they dropped big time!

I got to the light by work and while waiting the idle kicked up real high! I pulled off and as I was driving I could hear little misses, I watched the millivolts and they were very low. then It cleared up on its own. I got home and when I put the car in park the idle jumped up to like 1900!:confused:

How do you know if your chip is going bad or your computer???:confused:
Well for starters, As others mentioned the pump and or the wiring although those would cause fuel issues I Myself don't think they would cause the idle to jump to 1900 rpms or Cause little misses or the o2 volts to go very low.
THINGS TO CHECK:
1) o2 sensor - (If you ran alot of race gas it more than likely killed the o2 and that is causing your irratic idle. The o2 causes the computer to adjust fueling sensed by it.

2) ECM - This could have gone bad, On the way back from BG this year I drove with a buddy of mine in his T-type and it would run fine for a while then it would run horrible just like a stoped up fuel filter and when we got home he looked at the ECM and the connectors were barely on. It ended up ruining the ECM and a new on from Advance auto parts fixed it..

The best and easyiest way to check for issues with these cars is to have someone you know that has one of these and switch out known good parts to find the problem. This way your kinda throwing parts at it but your only buying once! ;)

Hope this helps!
Scot W.

heres the plan!

I am gonna clean all connections for the pump, hotwire, and ecm etc. Drive for a while and see what happens. Then I am gonna borrow an ecm and see what happens. If still persists I will change the pump again!

Could my chip have gone bad?:confused:

I am gonna clean all connections for the pump, hotwire, and ecm etc. Drive for a while and see what happens. Then I am gonna borrow an ecm and see what happens. If still persists I will change the pump again!

Could my chip have gone bad?:confused:

Not likely that the chip or ECM has gone bad. There's been a rash of bad "Walbro" pumps. Evidently there are Chinese knock-offs out there.

Jim

what i have found!

I cleaned all connections to the pump and chip and orange wire in the engine bay. Went to lunch no difference. My buddy blaze brought me his ecm, when I pulled the plugs to swap ecm's I found that there was alot of corrosion in there! I used some electric cleaner and a brush on the plug and put my chip in my buddy's ecm and hooked it up. Havent driven it since yet but will up date later. I will say this much, my blm has never been 128 and it is now! My blms always hung around 115-118!:biggrin:

I cleaned all connections to the pump and chip and orange wire in the engine bay. Went to lunch no difference. My buddy blaze brought me his ecm, when I pulled the plugs to swap ecm's I found that there was alot of corrosion in there! I used some electric cleaner and a brush on the plug and put my chip in my buddy's ecm and hooked it up. Havent driven it since yet but will up date later. I will say this much, my blm has never been 128 and it is now! My blms always hung around 115-118!:biggrin:
Good to hear! Let us know for sure if that took care of your problem! I'm pretty sure it was one of those two things I mentioned. ECM's do go bad and just this year coming home from BG I seen the symptoms first hand.

Let us know!
Scot W,

It's not impossible for an ECM to go bad, it's just not likely. Your BLMs are at 128 because you've reset the ECM and haven't driven it yet. I hope your problem is fixed, but a badly corroded ECM connector would cause a multitude of very strange problems. If it was corroded, and you have a t-top car, check the right top for leaks. The water runs down the a-pillar and right on top of the ECM.

Good luck.

Jim

Corrosion on the ECM connector is a big problem. Cleaning the terminals won't fix the problem because once corrosion sets in, the tin plating on the terminals breaks down, exposing the bare brass terminal. Brass naturally oxidizes, so the only solution is to 1. replace the ECM, and 2. replace the connectors/terminals.

Also, if you're running your fuel level below half a tank FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME, you will quickly destroy your fuel pump, especially a hot-wired pump. The fuel pump NEEDS to be submerged in fuel to keep it cool. If it is exposed to the air space in your tank, it runs very hot. The brushes in the motor deteriorate quickly on a hot pump, but are "lubed" and cooled by fuel.

KEEP FUEL LEVEL ABOVE HALFWAY all the time, and your pump will live much longer.

The Chinese Walbro knock-offs are here and seem to be an ongoing problem. I've never seen so many people replacing a fuel pump after they just replaced it. Personally, I would NEVER trust a clone fuel pump, regardless of who makes it. If your vendor sells you a Walbro, be sure it's an original and not a clone. Get it in writing...if you don't believe it, run it through Google:

Executive Life » Walbro Fuel Pump Forgeries? Who knew?