Help getting wiper arms off

bmackinnon

Hi guys,
Trying to change my heater core, and am having trouble getting the wiper arms off. On the driver side, I've raised the arm up and slid the "clip" 'up' as far as it seemed to want to go... maybe 3/8" towards the top of the windshield, and then it doesn't seem to want to go any further. It 'looks' like that is as far as it's supposed to slide... I don't think it's supposed to slide all the way off, is it?? I pulled/lightly pried on the arm around the shaft and it hasn't budged, but maybe I'm not pulling hard enough... is it a beeiitch to get these arms off?? Should I give it some more ooommph??? any tricks/tips?? I guess it might be kinda stuck after being on there for 22 years? I just definitely don't want to break something.. :eek: Maybe I just need some moral support and pull that mother??:confused:

you need to release that clip....it will problly take some effort if you have not had them off before....

You should have a little slide arm at the bottom. This arm slids out, then you have to do your best to take the spring pressure off. (folding the wiper up) On mine the arm came off with the metal block attached on the driver's side and just the shaft on the pass side. Hope thats right it has been awhile. When you have them off you will see why you need three hands to take them off and put them back on, real strong springs! Hope that helps.

can you define 'release'?? I pried on the clip and it slid out about ~3/8-1/2", is that released? or is the clip supposed to come all the way out? I've slid it to the point where I HAVE to pull up on the sprung part of the wiper arm, so the clip will slide a 'bit' farther out, which it did.... and now the clip is out to the point where the wiper won't lay back down on the windshield... the clip is holding the sprung arm up... is that all the farther it goes?? ie... is it 'released' at that point? and I need to start prying around the splined shaft?

yes you will nedd to take a flat screwdriver and start priying up....I use a wooden block as a leverage point

You have to take a large flat blade screwdriver, or a small pry bar and gently pry up on the back side of the wiper arm, opposite the arm itself. They just slide right up. I use another screwdriver handle to use as a pry block/leverage point. After you get the hang of it, you will see just how easy they are to take off.

CHA-CHING!! Got 'em! Yep, the second one took all of 18 seconds to get off. Awesome guys.... THANKS!!