Help!! Engine Cought On Fire!!

85_Riv_T

Just a 4100lbs T-type
If anybody in California area has an engine 85-87 for sale or wouldnt mind selling for a resonable price PLEASE contact me. My engine cought on fire last night because a seal some where busted and oil went onto my cat, cought on fire then worked its way up to the pass side and melted a lot of wires and fuel injetor area. It still starts but i am in fear that more is damaged than what i can see. Or if anyone has spare parts for sale that would be awesome. thank you very much.

Seth

I wouldn't think you would need an engine. Just replace/repair the wiring harness and anything else that got burnt. :confused:

Thanks guys. I just went out and looked at it and it started p and all the electrical works just fine. the is SOME, just some wire that are burnt that look real easy to fix. I heard a POP when this whole thing started and look at my engine just a bit ago and it looks like something on my pass side blew off the block by the valve cover and thats how all the oil blew out. i only drove a 100yards then the car shut off so i dont think the engine is really damaged now once i got to take a good look at it. :eek: :mad:

Before running this thing again, I'd investigate what exactly happened here. I would also disconnect the battery, as scorched wires are another fire looking for a place to happen. I don't know what might have burped that much oil on the cat at one time, and then disappeared. Inspect you positive battery cable closely. To me, this would seem to be a likely source of the "pop" you heard before the motor shut off. It may have come into contact with the frame, or more likely, the exhaust, causing a short and the fire. It would also explain why the car shut off so quickly. Good luck, Counterman.

I have a complete uncut 85 Turbo Riv engine wiring harness here from a car we parted out some years back. Email me if you need it.

After my Blazer caught on fire in Detroit I installed fire extinguishers in every vehicle I own.

Have you checked the engine and transmission oil / fluid levels?

I had a transmission line once that rubbed on the rear of the engine block and developed a hole in the line and sprayed tranny fluid in the area of the cat.converter, i got lucky though no fire.

If anybody in California area has an engine 85-87 for sale or wouldnt mind selling for a resonable price PLEASE contact me. My engine cought on fire last night because a seal some where busted and oil went onto my cat, cought on fire then worked its way up to the pass side and melted a lot of wires and fuel injetor area. It still starts but i am in fear that more is damaged than what i can see. Or if anyone has spare parts for sale that would be awesome. thank you very much.

Seth

sometime around 1996 i purchased a GN that had a fire--------gave less than 1000 for it---------everything in front of the firewall was ruined--------powermaster brake switch leaked fluid on the headers and it caught fire---------when the fuel lines gave way it really toasted--------windshield was actually melted--------everything on the engine that was alum was melted-------alternator was not recognizable-------valve covers were melted into the rocker arms like cheese on a sandwitch----------i removed the engine and chiseled the alum parts from it and stripped it to the block/heads leaving them alone and assembled--------added new parts, fuel rail, valve covers, manifold, wiring, acessories etc and put it in a car that had a bad engine----------that was 40 k miles ago and it still runs great.................RC