Help defining my 2004R

87lc2/wo2

Today, me and my nephew finally got to look at the transmission taken from a 1986 GN. I obtained on a piece of all vital information except the information on the trans case on the driver's side above the trans pan rail. Here's what I have:

1) Trans Tag Identification on right rear tail shaft area: 281-872BRF1147 (These letters and numbers stamped onto tag) No further markings, but it's still riveted from the factory.
2) The servo cover on the passenger side read some numbers, but I didn't get them all. Here's what I got: 694 was the last 3 numbers
3) I pulled the pan off, pulled the filter off and on the valve body, there was "Pink paint lines" and on the side by the manual valve area of the valve body in "pink writing was BR3".

Gentleman, what does this all mean? Is this a good transmission?:confused:

Everything is clean inside the trans that has been covered for a year or more.
Plans I have are to install a HI-Tech "Art-Carr" valve body shift improver kit and a new TCC solenoid I just purchased from Kirban's performance, as well as a B&M Supercooler.

Lastly, the torque converter has orange paint on the center "circle area", it's mostly black in color-or machined steel colored, but it doesn't say "D5" anywhere? Do all GN converters say "D5? Looks slightly smaller than 12 inches in diameter, and again everything including the inside of the trans pan is very clean. Any help defining this is greatly appreciated.

Is the Art Carr HI-Tech shift kit any good?

I hope this is a satisfying shift kit from Kirban's Performance to install in this transmission. Can anyone say that it is or not? I think now that I should've gone with a "CK shift kit" now that it's been refined by "Chris" more than the original "HI Tech kit". Shucks!

The stamped number above the pan rail is a partial VIN.

Looks like its a BRF.... which is correct for an 86-87 Turbo Regal.

The "D5" markings are pretty easy to spot.... pull the converter and place it face up and you should be able to see the D and 5 on the face-up side.

The "D5" is stamped around the outer perimeter of the converter. It sounds like you do have the correct "BRF" trans from a turbo car.

I hope this is a satisfying shift kit from Kirban's Performance to install in this transmission. Can anyone say that it is or not? I think now that I should've gone with a "CK shift kit" now that it's been refined by "Chris" more than the original "HI Tech kit". Shucks!

the convertor designation D5 is used on much more than original GN convertors----------all original GN convertors are D5's but not all D5's are GN convertors-----------original 86/87 GN convertors have a paper tag with the code CBCF------48/85 are CBBF-------i have found these on convertors with over 200K miles so they seem to be pretty durable tags even though it would seem they would be long gone -----------the art carr kit is not so bad especially if your car is not highly modified...................RC