Help! Dash pad removal and can't get digital cluster out!

YGETV8

I think, therefore I am??
Hi All,

I have had a good shape dash pad sitting in my garage rafters for about a year now, all redyed and ready to install in my GN since it has splits in the seams on top. Anyway, I decided to tackle the project today and after a few hours work (!) have everything ready to pull out except the digital dash cluster! Anybody know how to get in between back there to remove the electrical wiring and speedometer cable? (cluster surround pad is already off, BTW) There is no way to remove the pad without removing this first that I can tell. :(

Thanks for any help!

Disconnect the speedo cable in the engine compartment and push on it enough to get the cluster forward so you can press the lock spring on the cable at the cluster. It's a tight squeeze for your hand either way.

If you've got all the screws holding the digital cluster in place then it just pulls out. You don't have to go behind and unplug or loosen anything. On the back of it is a large edge connector which mates with a socket mounted behind the cluster. That socket is firmly affixed to the dash system and yoy don't need to pull from behind (you can't move it anyway).

The digital cluster just "un plugs" so-to-speak.

In my experience you can pull the cluster towards you enough to get your hand behind it to unclip the speedo cable. Then it will come forward a little more so you can "struggle" with the plug. It's pretty difficult to remove. The locking tab is in the center along the bottom of the plug. Depress it towards the plug and pull the plug out. The tab is small and the plug is tight with not much room to work. You can do it! ;)

Thanks Guys!

Dave, I think you are referring to removing the "front" part of the cluster (just the digital readout portion)? I need the whole darn thing out! I looked at Casper's Electronics website, and they only tell you how to get the front off (thought about sending it in for their mods while I had it out!).

Will give it another shot today... began to wonder what I had gotten myself into with this project! Never again! ;)

There is no need to take the cluster out if you are just changing the dash surround. There are about 8 around the edge of the surround. You take them out and the surround should come off. Don't even touch the gauge cluster. If you want to take the cluster out there are a few screws around it. Undo the screws, open the hood and push the speedo cable towards the firewall, this will give you a little extra room to get your hand in behind the cluster. The cluster gets caught on the steering column, so you might have to lift it up a little when pulling it out. Don't bother with the screws where the idiot lights are.

Unfortunately, the WHOLE dash has to come out! I got the speedo cable off, but didn't have much time to tinker Sunday. Am going back out now, but I think it's all downhill from here! (famous last words)

Thanks for the advice, Guys!

Its all downhill until you try to put the speedo cable back on!! :D

I've had my cluster out a few times, it doesn't get easier. Just be careful with that mess on the back of the cluster, and make sure it gets seated well, or it won't charge.

Well, you got that right! Decided to replace the cruise stalk while I had it apart... hmmm. String trick would've worked great, had the string not pulled off the wire of the new one! SO, the wire kept getting bound up while trying to thread it through the column and I had the bright idea to pull the little plastic cover off the side. BIG mistake! There is a little plastic piece in there that controls the bright headlight switch and it fell out! I'm guessing GM installed that prior to final assembly because I can't get it back in! :mad: Anyway, the dash is completely loose, but it started to thunderstorm REALLY bad and seeing how I was in my driveway hanging halfway out of a big black "lightning rod", I decided to come in! ;)

There's always tomorrow!

Anyway, the dash is completely loose, but it started to thunderstorm REALLY bad and seeing how I was in my driveway hanging halfway out of a big black "lightning rod", I decided to come in! ;)

Gosh Jay, you've got a garage, why don't you just pull those "ornaments" out of the way and get to work! :p