Help and suggestions!

Turbo and cam sizes

• 208, 214

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best all around

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kendall1214

Hi there y'all . I live in ks and just recently bought an 87 gn. Well fuel pump went bad which causing me to rebuild it.(new to gas side of power so dumb probably). But why I'm postin is i have a few things to ask, first I'm looking for a great launching bottom end and great top end cam what's your suggestion. Then it had a pt52 precision turbo on it which I thought ran pretty good, know of one better? And then it's got an alcohol system on it. But it back fires when hooked up so I unhooked it... Was wondering what kind of alcohol it takes? Smells like rubbing alcohol. Is that right? Or should it be methonol . My truck (dodge diesel) I mix methonol and water...do these cars as well? If so what's mixture ratios? Some things done on it from what i was told is heavy springs port and polished ground valves n guides LS1 MAFS and upgraded intercooler (think he said power stroke idr), external oil and trans cooler stainless steel lines, cold are intake 60# injectors fiberglass hood and nitto drag radials. Pt52 precision turbo 3 inch exhaust with a dump pipe. Comp cam..(not sure the size) fully built transmission deep oil pan and i think he said 3k stall converter, which don't really feel that unless babying it! And a turbo tweak chip! It ended up 21psi boost... If that helps any. Sorry if I'm being a pain just new to the gas high horsepower side of stuff! Any other suggestions would be great thanks! Oh and it's got air bags but they Aren't on the car yet!

Does it have a scanmaster or some way to monitor knock? If not get one pronto. No more 21psi til you have the alky up and running properly. And read this website start to finish www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Welcome aboard

No I don't have one yet! Is I get it and alky up what would you guess it to run? And should alky be methonol ?

Depends on what alky system you have. Did you buy the car from someone on the board? If not do you have receipts?
I would not get on it again til you do the basics ie: tuneup and some sort of scantool. Take your time (we all know that ain't easy) and learn as much as possible. The learning never really stops and can get expensive fast if you try to run before you can walk. Look in the regional section and see if you can't meet up with some local guys. Let them look over the car. They'll see things you won't.

In your original post you said the fuel pump went bad and that you're rebuilding it. Rebuilding what the motor or pump? Are you doing the motor or having it done?

Rebuilding the engine.... My friend I'm having him do it since he has the shop... I'm gonna help when I can.... But trying to find the stuff to make it faster... The fastest I ran was an 11.6 most of them was in 12 second range tho. Like high 11s low 12s and I never floored it because that caused it to misfire and it seemed to spin way to easy! The day I bought it my brother n I were on way home on black top road running 70ish punched it and it started smoking the tired.... So from videos I've seen they hook up very well is there something that might be bad? Bushings or anything... Like I said I'm new to these cars...i went to school for diesel...

I've started looking for that scanmaster tool found em online but they are round $ 250 is that what they are gonna cost? Or is there a place to check for cheaper ones.. On the rebuild I'm still waiting to hear back from precision sent turbo in a few weeks ago.... And machine shop said there is no cracks in block thinking bout having them bore it .020 over any advice on that? Will it need tuning or anything with that?

Without tires and suspension it won't hook up very well, and these cars run best from a dig. If you don't do something with the trans it won't last too long either. Best of luck and keep posting!

And the tires are the nitto drag radials ..nt 555 they are p275/50r15. They should of been wide enough to hook up or I would of thought! Maybe it was the road...

I've started looking for that scanmaster tool found em online but they are round $ 250 is that what they are gonna cost? Or is there a place to check for cheaper ones.. On the rebuild I'm still waiting to hear back from precision sent turbo in a few weeks ago.... And machine shop said there is no cracks in block thinking bout having them bore it .020 over any advice on that? Will it need tuning or anything with that?
Yes it will need tuning, they all do. If your going to play with this an absolute necessity is a Scanmaster AND Powerlogger. That's the ONLY way your going to know what's going on with your set-up, plus the PL gives you logging capability, hence the name. Consider it $500 well spent and then go forward. Occasionally you'll find them cheaper here on the board. Other engine builders I'm sure will chime in, but .020 shuld be fine

Its got an old school laptop that has a program on it to change things around...but I meant do ya have to on a dyno or can ya do it from that?

I don't know what old school laptop you have, but you can probably do it from that. Window's 7 or 8 is a pain in the a$$, for loading drivers for the PL. If you have a dragstrip nearby it will suffice. Dyno's are for testosterone measurements!:cool:

Its a program for the buick ....it reads lots of things...n im not sure what it its lol not near that new im in iola ks

Post around to some folks that are near you, most will probably be happy to help, and keep you out of some of the expensive "learning curves". I'm in the same boat in Ga. now. I've been into these cars since the first one I bought in '87, but have not had to learn to tune until now;)

So do yall have any experience with the pt 52 vs the 6152? Is either one of those have the capabilities with 60# injectors to make it around a 10.8 second quarter

Its got an old school laptop that has a program on it to change things around...but I meant do ya have to on a dyno or can ya do it from that?

You might have Direct Scan which uses Win 95 , hence the "old school lap top " . When your buddy rebuilds your motor he can't rebuild it like a chevy motor ! Have him get clearance specs from a builder of Turbo Buick V6's , they'er a lot tighter