Help! a cassette is stuck

Ssg Ken

I used to get a tape jammed from time to time. I got them out with a hemostat.

I was frustrated with the radio and shoved in the tape rather rudely and likely off-axis so it jammed for me. It was the end of the tape so all it does now is make a click, click sound as if it wants to change directions. Two tweezers did not work.

Should I get out a hemostat and really grab the cassette and give it a hard yank? Or is there another, better way?

If I had to replace my cassettes, it would cost about $2000. This has sat in audio for a few days with no offers.

Stuck Cassette

I had a cassette stuck in my 86 and after working at it for about 1/2 hour I finally took the radio out of the car, put it on a bench and took it (the radio) all apart. I finally got it apart far enough I took a pair of side cutters and cut the cassette out. The cassette gets caught in the rear on drive posts or guide pins and then will not come out. Pulling hard on the cassette will probably break something in the radio so I would not do that. The radio now will play, but the cassette part does not work it clicks like yours even though there is no cassette in it any longer. The radio is complicated so go slow and keep track of everything as you take it apart if you choose to. Just my experience.

On a side note I bought a set of 3 way Kenwood speakers from Crutchfield for the rear deck. They were supposed to work (per Crutchfield) but they would not fit. After 2 weeks and about 6 calls to Crutchfield I had to settle for a set of Kenwood 2 ways that kinda fit. Crutchfield did refund the money for the set that didn't work.
Peace, Mike D.

Not the advise I was hoping for. I am not good at dash stuff. Every time I try there are horrible whistles in the air system or worse, rattles in the dash.

If no one has a trick, I will have to just take around a portable radio so at least I have that. I have plenty of CD's from about one year after I bought the car. Perhaps I will just have it taken out carefully and install a new CD player.

I bought a Kenwood CD player for mine but haven't put it in yet. (Crutcfield again) Good Luck in whatever you decide to do! Peace, Mike D.

Not the advise I was hoping for. I am not good at dash stuff. Every time I try there are horrible whistles in the air system or worse, rattles in the dash.

If no one has a trick, I will have to just take around a portable radio so at least I have that. I have plenty of CD's from about one year after I bought the car. Perhaps I will just have it taken out carefully and install a new CD player.

I have a trick which worked for me. Turn on the IGN and the radio. Change the direction of the cassette playback, push FF and then eject back and fourth. Be patient and keep switching between FF/RW and eject. In all cases with me the tape finally ejects.

Removing the radio from the dash is extremely easy and simple. The trim plate unsnaps revealing the few screws holding the radio in. I wanted to keep the stock radio so I made the conversion. Digitized all my casettes and made CD's. A BOARD Member wired my radio to accept a mini plug which plugs into a walkman cd. This avoids the cassette player. All my casettes are now on CD which play on a walkman CD into the stock radio. Converting casettes to cd's is extremely easy and inexpensive as well. PM me for details if interested. Good luck, Brad

I used to have a cassette stuck in there when I first bought my GN. What I did was take a small flat screwdriver & put it gently under the cassette, while pressing on the eject, lifting & pushing on the cassette ever so slightly, the cassette should eventually eject but be careful not to force it too much to break anything. It is a scary operation, I was just glad when the cassette poped out.