Helmet reg's

Wildthing

I was thinking of going to Cecil county drag strip on Oct. 17.

Do I need a helmet? If so what type and safety rating?

Is there any other stuff I need to consider?

I have only been to one test and tune, I should be running in the high 12 sec. range with the new turbo.

At 13.99 and faster, you will need a helmet with a Snell 2000 rating at least. If you are going to purchase a new one, go with a Snell 2005 that is good until 2017. :)

NHRA recently revised the rule for any vehicle with an after market turbo, the driver must have an approved fire jacket. Your track may, or may not, enforce this rule. :confused:

NHRA recently revised the rule for any vehicle with an after market turbo, the driver must have an approved fire jacket. Your track may, or may not, enforce this rule. :confused:

Does 'after market turbo' just refer to turbo charging a non-factory turbo charged engine? I can't believe the techs would have any idea if you had a larger turbo on a T-R. I don't know...I am just asking the question for clarification.

.........I can't believe the techs would have any idea if you had a larger turbo on a T-R. ...............

As for our local tech guys that we know very well after years of checking many of our stock to 8 sec. GN's, they are very familiar with stock from after market turbos! :)

If you are still running a stock-appearing turbo under the original heat shield, that should fly under the radar w/o a problem. Or maybe your local tech guys are not familiar with many turbo cars, and do not know or care about the rule. :cool:

Long pants and a shirt are also usually required..regardless of other considerations.Shirt does not mean tank top....

98 SECTION 11 - GENERAL REGULATIONS
Label Expires
Snell 90 Expired
Snell 95 Expired
Snell K98 1/1/2009
Snell 2000 1/1/2012
Snell 2005 1/1/2017