Hellwig sway bar installation

83hurstguy

Installing the Hellwig rear sway bar on my car, kit 55809. There are four "hat" style bushings in the kit, but the instructions do not indicate how they are utilized or where they go. I have included a picture of them.

I tried emailing Hellwig two weeks ago, and got no response. I know a lot of people here have installed this kit... curious to see what other people have done. I pressed the tapered bushings into the end links, these didn't seem like they would work in there.

Can't say I'm overly impressed with Hellwig's instructions, end link design, or customer service....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• swaybarbushing.JPG
    swaybarbushing.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 265
I don't think those belong with that bar. I run the same one & didn't have those. I don't know what's up with these hellwig bars, I ended up with & bunch of extra hardware that served absolutely no purpose as well. I was also shorted 2 bolts that I had to go out & source locally.

Thanks for the response, appreciate the help!

I talked to Hellwig this afternoon... they confirmed that those bushings shown above were not supposed to be included in the kit. Therefore, if anybody else got them, they aren't used... they also said to let them know if anybody got them in their G-body kit, so they can try to figure out how they got in.

Strange. How bout they actually pay attention to the products before they go out the door? aka quality control lol

He did say that he was surprised the "weight check" didn't catch them... I wish I didn't have to trim the links 3" either to get the bar to sit level. Guess you get what you pay for, lol...

Ya I had to trim the links too, but I think it did mention that in the instructions & most people have to especially if the car is lowered. Not a bad part at all for the price though

The price of the Helwig bar is waaaaaaay lower than the competition but the attention to detail was lacking. It did make a huge improvement on my Limited's feel on turns. I still want better end links with spherical joints though. I highly doubt the cost would increase that much and they would eliminate the potential for binding.

I can't imagine it being difficult to build your own linkages for the bar just out of the parts bins at a good ace hardware.

I still like mine. running the middle hole has done well for me so far.

He did say that he was surprised the "weight check" didn't catch them... I wish I didn't have to trim the links 3" either to get the bar to sit level. Guess you get what you pay for, lol...

Yep, and they are pretty affordable for what they do.

Hum, makes me feel much better about my HR bar. EVERY bolt, links, mounts, bushings, drill bits, chalk was individually packed and labeled. The instructions had a check list to double check. They were also very clear and detailed. The price difference is not worth chasing parts or questioning what the extra items were for. A+ vendor.

Hum, makes me feel much better about my HR bar. EVERY bolt, links, mounts, bushings, drill bits, chalk was individually packed and labeled. The instructions had a check list to double check. They were also very clear and detailed. The price difference is not worth chasing parts or questioning what the extra items were for. A+ vendor.

That's debatable. For more than double the $, it should be a perfect kit. I'm a man of limited means and will someday switch to the HR bar when I can afford it. I don't have an extra $300 in parts or time in my Hellwig install and it still cut a 1.52 60' off the foot brake in BG last year.

UMI has a Chassis mounted pro touring bar 1" dia. middle of the road for like $399 with nice hardware and they always have sales. I picked one up when they first came out the HR bar was more a straight line bar and i wanted handling too so i went this route sorta both bars in one!

UMI has a Chassis mounted pro touring bar 1" dia. middle of the road for like $399 with nice hardware and they always have sales. I picked one up when they first came out the HR bar was more a straight line bar and i wanted handling too so i went this route sorta both bars in one!

Hellwig bar was less than 1/2 that on Amazon with free shipping for Prime members.

Maybe so but it still has crappy hardware and i dare even ask about customer support if ever needed i know HR and UMi stand behind their parts without question. I guess its back to the old saying you get what you pay for! I almost bought a Helwig bar from Marcus he swears by them but i did not like the hardware!

I second that, the bar is stout along with the hardware. Cut two bolts and everything was exactly as described with my instructions. Great deal, and great performance.

I'm glad the HR parts and stuff bar is high quality. There's no doubt it is, but a 1.25" bar is good for a car that makes one turn at the end of the track after making a pass.

You can put decent (not super) rod ends on the Hellwig bar for approximately $35-40 if you don't like the stock hardware. Rod ends will transmit more noise, it's always a trade off. The DSE rear bar probably has the nicest end link for a street car and is a fair price.

I always believed that the HR bar was more for drag racing and the Hellwig/Spohn/DSE was for street handling. If that is true, you can't compare the 2, apples to oranges.

For the most part that is true but there have been a few guys to run the HR bar for more than just drag i think Scot used one! The other bars have a bit more flex so you get a bit more body rollwhich helps in the turns. Paul @ HR was suppsed to kick out a thinner touring bar but i got tired of waiting and went another route.