Hellwig Pro-Touring Bar users - install question for you

Silver Fox

I just bought a Hellwig pro-touring bar and started to install it tonite. I have a TA Performance rear end cover, which is a lot thicker than the stamped steel factory cover. When positioning the sway bar, I am getting some interference with the cover and have to position the bar fairly low. I was just wondering how the positioning of the bar looks compared to everyone else's. I will call Hellwig tomorrow and get their thoughts. Here are a few pictures.

A few different pictures. Car is one the ground.

9cc7e9df.jpg

cc007915.jpg

bf6bb215.jpg

The front of the bar is angles up pretty good. Pretty much the same angle as the rear control arm is at.

14672ff6.jpg

I am just wondering if the center portion of the sway bar should be a little higher up on the cover (and the front of the bar would be more parallel to the ground)? If so, I can always replace the cover with a chrome one I have.

Thoughts or pictures of installed ones?

Thanks.

Rob

Rob,

The only thing you need to check is if the swaybar limits how far the rear will droop. With the arms pointed up there will be plenty of compression travel, but may limit downward travel.

Get those control arms replaced Rob. Mine even look better than that.:biggrin:

You buyin' (LOL)? You have to admit they don't look too bad for being 24 years old.

I do plan on replacing them. A step at a time Charlie, a step at a time.

Rob

when I installed mine, I rotated the axle clamps backwards so the bar rides up and out a little farther in the back. this helped get the bar more parallel to the ground as well. I have not put the rear end in the car that has the TA cover on it yet, but it looks like there will be plenty of clearance.

if I had pics I would show them. could take some tonight if interested. Mr. T has a lot of good install pics of his somewhere... he's a real expert on this particular bar.

-D

when I installed mine, I rotated the axle clamps backwards so the bar rides up and out a little farther in the back. this helped get the bar more parallel to the ground as well. I have not put the rear end in the car that has the TA cover on it yet, but it looks like there will be plenty of clearance.

if I had pics I would show them. could take some tonight if interested. Mr. T has a lot of good install pics of his somewhere... he's a real expert on this particular bar.

-D

thats the answer right there.

-D

DoubleD,

You nailed it. I very slightly rotated the clamps rearward and that gave me the clearance I needed. The bar is up higher on the TA cover and parallel to the ground in the front. I just need to drill the holes now and finish bolting it up.

Thanks.

Rob

Great to hear. drilling those holes is a bit of a pain, however a nice and sharp unibit can work wonders to make the job easier.

I like that you can get this bar nice and tucked up under the car. let us know your thoughts once you get it set up (you are almost guaranteed to have to trim the threads on the linkage). I'm thinking about moving to the middle mounting hole on my car to try it out soon.

-D

I just finished up installing the bar. Thanks to DoubleD and Mr. T for helping me out via PM. Now I just need to go drive the car and see how the bar does.

Double D - The unibit works great. That was the first time I ever used one.

Mr. T - shortened the ends per your instructions. Very easy.

Rob