Hellooo From NYC!

XxSlowpokexX

Hey all. Been lurking the boards of the past couple of weeks trying to gather up some info and wondering what to do. I'm getting rid of my fox mustang gt vert this weekend and picking up an 85 t type. Not getting into the details but the fox was alot of fun but Ive had it for 13 years now since I built it and it's no longer what I want. The body is shot..Basically what I'm getting for it I'm picking up the 85.

Now the 85 has around 7X,XXX miles doesn't smoke and runs pretty good...Although EXTREMELY SLOW.

I'm not new to Turbos and have a few, (all Fords). One coincidentally is a 3.8 Ford v6 and the other a 306 v8..The 3.8 making more power than any of my other cars and is the newest project! The v8 turbo was built around 1997 and it collects more rust sitting in the driveway than anything.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ive always loved the looks of the GN and had worked on a few years ago all 86/87. (1987). SO of course after all my extensive research...Ive come to understand all the wonderful differences between the earlier 85 compared to the 86/87. Phoey

What I'm looking to do is to not create a rocket ship. I want to get the body is nice shape, do some suspension and brake upgrades. And basically get the motor running the best I can without going crazy. I am going to TRY not to do what I always do and go overboard. I want a car that will be reliable to drive both long distances and around town. Im replacing a car whose idea of breaking down is a bad alternator with an unknown variable.

Just some car facts

1) Its an open rear. (depending may or may not want to take care of that) Ideas?
2) Coil pack, crank sensor and other things that seem to go bad have been replaced
3) Brakes are great and new..However I was thinking of the dual piston s10 upgrade. Bad?
4) Car comes with new lowering springs. Any issues with installing these from an alignment standpoint?
5) E85. Figuring its non IC. Has anyone run E85 to help out with that issue. I have 60lb injectors and a Stealth Aeromotive pump from one of my projects I upgraded. Should be enough for E85 on this engine..I think
6) Tuning...I been using Moates Quarterhorse for my Ford products (before that SCT). Im a little confused how to go with the Buick. I see so many options but Im sure many are outdated. 87 ECU???
7) In todays world almost 30 years later...From a turbo standpoint, impeller design has come along way. I REALLLLYYY dont want to spend a crap load of money on an archaic turbo upgrade that will net me not so much on a basically stock motor...but was wondering if there are perhaps cartridge replacements with upgraded impellers?
9) Can you use Ford MAFS? Has anyone used them? I know about the LT1 swap
8) Any cheap upgrades?

Right off the bat I plan on upgrading the fuel pump no matter what, Ill run a direct wire with relay to assure full voltage. I plan on doing a new intake pipe and MAF to get rid of any restrictions. I want to get tuning and datalog software. I do have a wideband (Innovate LM1 and the older one with built in datalog capabilities). The car has exhaust but unsure what. I do want to do a downpipe. Recommendations?

I know there are a bunch of diehard Hot Air guys on here. So any and all help is appreciated. Like I said not looking for a rocketship but want to get this thing moving and as efficient as I can. I also have a Snow Stage III MPG+ dual nozzle setup I can play with....But I was thinking if I go E85......

So ...Help!

Thanks

Damon

Hello and Welcome to Turbobuick.com!!! :) Lots of good info on this site about what you are trying with the '85 GN.
Good Luck with your project!

Welcome Aboard! What part of Ny? Thers a few of us in Long island that meet every tuesday night.

I'm actually in Queens by the whitestone bridge. Works been kicking my butt but maybe I can get out one of these days. Not sure where I want to go with this car yet but it be nice to give it just a little more. Whats funny is I completely forgot these are bank fire. My Turbo v8 cougar actually has the old school DFI that was bank fire as well. That may just be the first thing I get myself into. Setting it up so I can play around with the tune. Ive been reading up allot on here on the different directions to go.

Thanks all for the welcome!