Heat sink tool...

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Just machined up a heat sink plate to help w/ warp control when welding v band flanges.
This is made of 1/2" alum plate stock.
It is made to work with 2.5" tubing. [However, the dimensions could be altered to fit most any size tube.]
The tube can be slid thru the flange to give a "locator lip" that will help align/seal the 2 tubes. This groove is .155" deep. If you want no lip, flip the base plate over.
I'll be starting a custom LS system using the stock truck manifolds. Once I do, I'll post some temp readings.
Here are the pics:

Attachments

• V band heat sink 001.jpg
    V band heat sink 001.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 148
  • V band heat sink 003.jpg
    V band heat sink 003.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 138
  • V band heat sink 004.jpg
    V band heat sink 004.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 143
  • V band heat sink 005.jpg
    V band heat sink 005.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 152
  • V band heat sink 006.jpg
    V band heat sink 006.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 143
Wanna send it out to me so I can do a little fab work Chuck?:D
I "machined it" with a carbide/adjustable hole cutter, on my small mill.
I'd like to have another done with very accurate dimensions, and see if that would produce better heat transfer...
I'm also switching to the OBX flanges, to get better quality. The current parts are not a good example of Ho Chi Min's ability to read drawings...[Had to re-bore the flanges so they waould go over the tubing..]:mad:

Got them off the Bag... A place in Indy called "E Motors"... JUNK!

Ive been using a "china brand" set of ebay v-bands and while they pretty much were junk, the 25 minutes it took to get the item round on the lathe was far worth the 15 dollar cost rather then true up the 40$ dynatek ones from summit that were pretty much just as bad.

i think its a crap shoot with fab items as such..... what can we expect from a cost driven society

a 26 year old lazy union rapping machinest who dont care and turns out crappy american parts? or a 5 year ol chinese kid with a lathe as rigid as the bamboo and wire holding it together turning out parts in a dingy little sweat shop?

in the end product.... cant see much difference!

Treadstone Performance, has some really good bands, but the price is friggen nutz!