Heat shield rust problem

ez at nova

I hate rice
I have teh original shield on my car. It had some rust on it, so I used naval jelly, then buffed the heck out of it and it looked nice. About 6 months later, the rust came back. I repeated the procedure, buffing even more this time. Now, the rust is back again. It must be a moisture magnet from teh superheating, then cooling on summer nights. Anyway, is there anything I can rub or spray on the shield this time to prevent this ugly rust from returning?

Paint it.

I painted mine with aluminum colored high heat engine paint. It looks almost factory and will not rust. Check mine out on my web page. You could also have it chromed.:cool:

Sand it down Jeff, and paint it with 1500 flat alluminum VHT paint........Ed;)

I guess I will try painting it. I actually had it painted first, before polishing...I forgot. But, the high-temp aluminum style paint I used was sort of "gritty" in texture and it looked odd. I prefer the medium shine look of the polished metal, and I'm not a huge fan of the bling bling chrome, especially not yet, since the rest of my engine compartment looks like it has dirt from 1987. :D

Hey Ed, how much $ to get my engine bay looking like yours!? HA!

$50 an hour Jeff.............. Its alot of work, maily its just really time consuming I spent 2-3 months doing my engine and it looked near to what yours does. If you are serious about it maybe when I get my T-Type finished like around March-April we can work something out. Let me know.............Ed

Sounds good. If we can get it cleaned up in about 4 hours, I can afford it! ;)
We'll see where things are this spring when you're finished with your car. I'm sure there are a lot of things I can clean up under the hood. It just makes me nervous disconnecting too many things.
Speaking of spring, I can't help but wonder about the condition of my valve springs. We should probably check that out then too. I guess that would be a good time to clean up the valve covers and all that oil gunk from that bad PCV.
Oh well, enough hijacking of my own thread.

We can check them out then. Like I said its not hard to do, just time consumeing we could do it in a resonable amout of time if we dont go completely nuts like I did. I'll let you know when I get the t-type done & out of my bay at the shop then we can pull yours in there for the day & clean it up.

Had mine nickel plated for $75. Has that polished sheen look unlike chrome. Bead blasted the bolts and applied high temp clear on them. Looks great!