Headlight bezels paint color?

87we4turbot

Hey all haven't been on in a while....Trying to start cleaning up my dad's Turbo T. The headlight bezels and the metal strip under the wipers are fading pretty bad. The wiper strip is starting to rust as well. Has anyone just taking them off and painted them?? What color are they supposed to be..looks to be a flat black...What technique was used if anyone has done this before. I am sure this will be the first of many questions to come along.

Don't use flat black...SEM makes a paint called Trim Paint that is very close to the factory shade. Scotchbrite it, wipe it down with alcohol, and spray it on in light coats. It has etching primer in it as well...

I used Wurth's Satin Black. Looks great. Prep is the key. I used 400 grit and acetone and 3 coats of paint.

what steps did you take? Sand down with the 400 grit wipe clean with acetone then shoot it? How far down do you have to sand all the way to bare metal or just enough to get the paint to stick?

It's plastic. Sand it enough to smooth any rough spots, remove any loose paint, and roughen slightly for paint to stick. Two coats, sand lightly again with 800 and final coat. If not picky you can skip the color sanding and just paint the damn thing. ;)

Thanks!!:D Have to give it a shot anything has to look better then what they do now...What about the ban underneath the windshield wipers? Same color and procedure?

I was told that the high temp black engine paint is the exact match to the factory paint for the bezels. Its is a shade of flat black.