Headlight bezels again

SCD

I Read all the posts on headlight bezels but still have a question. I have my 87 GN since 1988, 65k and driven on wet roads 3 times, unmolested and still has the great cracking paint and I want to paint the bezels.
Some posts say flat black some say satin black and some say sem trim black. On my bezels it looks like the outside premeter is trim black and the flat surface infront the lights are flat black.
Is this correct or is the trim black just weathered in front of the lights to look like flat black.

Thanks
Steve

ps can't remember from 27 years ago

I Read all the posts on headlight bezels but still have a question. I have my 87 GN since 1988, 65k and driven on wet roads 3 times, unmolested and still has the great cracking paint and I want to paint the bezels.
Some posts say flat black some say satin black and some say sem trim black. On my bezels it looks like the outside premeter is trim black and the flat surface infront the lights are flat black.
Is this correct or is the trim black just weathered in front of the lights to look like flat black.

Thanks
Steve

ps can't remember from 27 years ago

Its really not a FLAT black .. IMO its more of a SATIN black ... ive tried all the variants above ... they all look good if prepped right and if you didn't have anything to compare to you would never know what the car came with..

Im fussy about appearance and FLAT black is just too flat compared to how they came from the factory.. Demplex seems to work well..

I just started messing with the heat gun effect and that is still in the air .. I think a lot depends on what look your going after

Satin is the safe way to go.

It'll look killer.

Besides, how anal would someone be to notice that a point it out.

It should be the last thing someone would notice.

D

Last edited:
I think the best product for the job is SEM Trim Black. Any flat or satin black paint will look correct, but as I understand it, the SEM paint has more solvent in it, allowing it to bond much better and be much more durable than ordinary paint. The prep is pretty easy too. If the surface is really smooth, scuff first with 400-grit sandpaper. Clean thoroughly (I use mineral spirits) and spray a few coats on. I didn't need to scuff the bezels up, I just cleaned thoroughly first, then wiped down with a little mineral spirits, then painted them.

Before; lots of minor scratches, hazing, and even worn through in areas to show grey instead of black:
headlightbezels_before1-jpg.254113

After:
headlightbezels_done-jpg.254115

Satin is the safe way to go.

It'll look killer.

Besides, how anal would someone be to notice that a point it out.

It should be the last thing someone would notice.

D

Agreed .. but again I tend to look now just to see how other cars are dealing with it .. and I can spot a repaint on them instantly.. its because I zone in on that.. to most guys they would never pay attention..
Also when you take them off and repaint and look at them .. you are WAY WAY more critical then when they are on the car ..

When they are installed on the car.. and from a few feet away .. you would NEVER know ..
The only thing that really gives it away is that you can see the paint surface is a different texture then factory.. the factory stuff is very smooth and there isn't any orange peel at all.

Still anything looks better then when they start to fade and get all scratched looking .. I would take any type of touchup over that look

I think the best product for the job is SEM Trim Black. Any flat or satin black paint will look correct, but as I understand it, the SEM paint has more solvent in it, allowing it to bond much better and be much more durable than ordinary paint. The prep is pretty easy too. If the surface is really smooth, scuff first with 400-grit sandpaper. Clean thoroughly (I use mineral spirits) and spray a few coats on. I didn't need to scuff the bezels up, I just cleaned thoroughly first, then wiped down with a little mineral spirits, then painted them.

Before; lots of minor scratches, hazing, and even worn through in areas to show grey instead of black:
headlightbezels_before1-jpg.254113

After:
headlightbezels_done-jpg.254115

They look GREAT !

Hey guys thanks for info. They are sprayed sem trim black and drying right now. They look great for a spray can. I should have used my mini hlvp spray gun it has a better spray patern. Maybe in twenty years I,ll try again!!.

Thanks
Steve

I did these parts in SEM Trim Black....no problems at all....great paint for these parts.

Bruce '87 Grand National
DSC_0398.JPG
CSC_0409.JPG
DSC_0394.JPG
CSC_0407.JPG
DSC_0396.JPG

Nice work, Bruce. I wonder how SEM Trim Black would work on the little side rear quarter window trim? Mine have some fading at the bottom trailing corners. I also considered using it on the metal headlight retainer rectangles, but wasn't sure how it would bond to metal. Is it durable there, too?

If you clean the quarter window trims real well, grease, dirt free, I'm sure the SEM TRIM would work...worth a try.....I'd do it on mine, but it's fine as of now.as for the headlight retainer rectangles, you can see in the picture of mine how well it came out...thus, after sanding the trim with 400 grit sandpaper, wiping clean with alcohol, then painting...so far they are holding up.....powdercoating them, though, would hold up much better, as it's a tougher paint....it's in an area subject to rocks, debris, sand, jaywalkers, etc, so it's bound to get chipped or bloody sometimes.....:eek: depends on how much you want to spend to have them done.....for me, I just wanted to experiment with the SEM TRIM in that area to see how it holds up.....so far, so good.

Thanks for the compliment......

Bruce '87 Grand National