Headers or V2 ????

Boy Buick85

Well im 90% Done with my alky kit just need to start the wiring :rolleyes:

I just wanted to get some opinions as to what might be better suited for my goal which is low 12 to high 11s in the quarter. I have a V2 kit to convert to an intercooled setup but im wondering if i should just sell the kit and get some after market headers what will get me to my goal ???

Im assuming the V2 but I wanted to get some input from you guys who are running after market headers ? wacha think :)

I had two friends with hotairs. One had a Spearco kit and the other had the Kenne-Bell headers/uppipe/downpipe. Up top the Kenne-Bell car would usually pull the Spearco car at the same boost but it was always very close. The way I look at it is the intercooler will make it much easier to hit 11s but you HAVE to upgrade the headers/uppipe/downpipe to get there.

Based on your signature your biggest problem is your pasenger side exhaust header. Get a Postons, Hooker or an old ATR. Good luck. Brad

Final advice- Make sure your drivers side header and crossover pipe do not leak. This situation causes problems down the road. Good luck and post results. Brad

Okay so I have seen a few postes in the past about hot air headers. I cant seem to find any through the search function, maybe I am not looking deep enough :confused: . Either way, what im looking for is how much Hp am I going to gain from the headers or HEADER? I dont need both right just the Passanger Side ???

Also since I have an ATR Exhaust should I just look for ATR headers (very hard to find I imagine ) Or can I look for others poston or TA ??

The passenger side stock header is flow restrictive. This means the exhaust gas flowing to the exhaust side of the turbo is slower. This causes the compressor side of the turbo to slow down and loss of power. Your exhaust system cannot help your situation. Get a Postons one used and reweld it or simply buy a new set. Good luck- Brad

I took a look at the passenger side header on my hot air motor (sitting on engine stand) and don't see where it appears to be unduly restrictive. Could someone set me straight. What is different on the Poston unit?
Conrad C.

I took a look at the passenger side header on my hot air motor (sitting on engine stand) and don't see where it appears to be unduly restrictive. Could someone set me straight. What is different on the Poston unit?
Conrad C.

It's got an area that necks down to 1" so all 6 cylinders are flowing through a 1" pipe. Looks like a dent, I thought mine was damaged the first time I looked at it but they're all like that. One of the single biggest improvements. Headers along with uppipe and downpipe are supposed to make 50+hp on a stock car, more on a modified car.

I see what looks like a dent on the underside of the header near the front cylinder. Is that what you are referring to? If so, looks like it could be straightened out on my engine. I never noticed it before. Thanks for info.

I agree with you, looks like the passenger side header and pipe to the turbo inlet could both use some "supersizing"!
Conrad C.

Hi Conrad,

What's going on? I don't understand why you're looking at Hotair headers since you've gone with an IC setup on your car. Are you thinking of putting it back to Hotair?

Eric,
Now why would I do that? I want to go fast! Just trying to help a hot air guy out and, besides, I have the hot air motor sitting in my garage here at the office.
Conrad C

ps...Do you have the dent in your passenger side header? I know that you have "souped up" your hot air motor so you may have fixed that problem.

Now why would I do that? I want to go fast!

Conrad, we all know your car is fast (Fast into the shop that is)

ps...Do you have the dent in your passenger side header? I know that you have "souped up" your hot air motor so you may have fixed that problem.

Yeah, I'm trying to show you local IC boys that a Hotair isn't all that slow:cool:

I have the stock passenger side header somewhere in my parts collection. I never really paid it much attention to it. I replaced the entire exhaust system with a Lee Thompson setup (Headers, X-over, uppipe, 3" downpipe w/ racegate) I bought off a guy here on the board about 3 years ago.

Are you helping Woodie out down there?

Eric,
Yes, my Buick is not too hot now. Antifreeze in the oil WILL cool one down in a hurry.

Of course, with alcohol injection (chemical intercooler) a hot air cars can give an I/C car a real run for their money. You will have to admit that your car is certainly not the typical hot air car. You have done a lot with a little!

The reason I switched over was the poorly designed intake and turbo location. I could not see any simple to make either significantly better. Of course, that was before the V2 intake and alcohol injection came along.
Conrad C.

You've got a really nice car yourself Conrad. Sorry you've having sooo many problems with it. You know I'm just giving you heck over the fast comment:rolleyes:

Here's a picture of my old passenger side header, sure enough there's a dent

DSC_3953.jpg

You've got a really nice car yourself Conrad. Sorry you've having sooo many problems with it. You know I'm just giving you heck over the fast comment:rolleyes:

Here's a picture of my old passenger side header, sure enough there's a dent

DSC_3953.jpg

I said it before-the stock passenger header is bad bad bad. Listen to the message. Brad

Brad,
Sorry I doubted you. I just like to confirm things. Has anyone tried straightening out the dent? Does that then fix the problem or is the only solution new, bigger headers? The outlet seems small to me as well.
Conrad C.

You know, I can almost imagine the bone head conversation that went on at GM/Buick in regards to this dent.

Guy 1: We really need to make it easier to get to that header bolt.
Guy 2: How about we crush/dent the header here so that you can slip a socket through.
Guy 1: Wouldn't it be better to design the header with that in mind.
Guy 2: Yeah, but that would take too much time and money.
Guy 1: Okay, let's create a machine and specifications to put the dent in the exact spot.
Guy 2: Now you're talking!

OK guys.........straighten me out if I am wrong here, but wouldn't the restictive stock intake be worse then the restrictive stock passenger header?
I vote for V2 intake install and upgrade the header down the road. The stock intake is junk! The V2 flow almost twice as much and not to mention you can run an intercooler.