Headers I made for a SBC GN

Grant,

Good work those look really nice.
If you have a chance before you set up the down pipes
I suggest that you swap the turbine housing to tang.
I have heard that on the bigger turbos that they can cost up to 75HP.

Those are t63e's off of bill andersons old car, those headers are 1 3/4 primaries mild steel, the ones that i'm running on that engine are 2 in 304 stainless and even nicer. I have heard about the housings, and being that those housings are small, i think that the tang housings are a sure thing for my car.

VERY NICE work, did you purge the headers when you welded? I think tangential hsgs make more power but they sit at different heights and look ugly unless you have both inlets facing the same direction.

The ones in the pictures are just mild, so they didn't get purged, the stainless ones I made did get back purged, some guys will use solar flux, but theres nothing better than back purgine them. Thanks for the complements

All metals react with oxygen, when heated to a certain temptarture (around red hot) they will rapidly react with oxygen. Depending on the heat and materail it may be required to fill the tubes with an inert gas similar to the shielding gas that the TIG torch uses to prevent this combonation with oxygen. With mild steel its not as important, but with stainless its a must. Stainless will crystalize and be ruined if its allowed to combine with oxygen. Those budget headers on ebay sold by ssautochrome are not back purged, and they fail very quickly.

n20junkie said:
All metals react with oxygen, when heated to a certain temptarture (around red hot) they will rapidly react with oxygen. Depending on the heat and materail it may be required to fill the tubes with an inert gas similar to the shielding gas that the TIG torch uses to prevent this combonation with oxygen. With mild steel its not as important, but with stainless its a must. Stainless will crystalize and be ruined if its allowed to combine with oxygen. Those budget headers on ebay sold by ssautochrome are not back purged, and they fail very quickly.

EXCELLENT info!!! Learn something new everyday. :biggrin:

n20junkie said:
that is some nice work! do you have or ever make headers for stage heads with a single turbo? i need a set for a car im putting together. thanks. Len

Nick Micale has them from TA Performance for about $955. in stainless- i got a set and highly recommend them.

49-blues said:
Nick Micale has them from TA Performance for about $955. in stainless- i got a set and highly recommend them.
ta headers are not for stage heads.