Headers are exhaust manifold ??

mcolor

Im dropping a 383 storker in my 86 regal and trying to figure out if I should go with headers are manifold.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How much cam? And who's cam? Your cam usually dictates the exhaust recommendation. I'm using a 284 extreme energy from CompCams (240/245@0.050 with .503/.510 lift). Comp says headers (1 3/4" Hedman w/ 3" collector), more stall converter for an auto (2800 stall for my T400) and don't forget to use an intake manifold that matches your cam RPM range (Victor Jr for me). If you use a single plane intake, make sure your carburetor (if that is what you're using) works with that manifold. The cam manufacturer will also mention how accessories will be affected by the cam. Comp say accessories will be affected, but according to Chevrolet, base time is set near 20 degrees (with the vacuum advance disconnected) and I'm using a dbl pumper holley with 4 corner idle. So vacuum is at or near 16kpa at 950rpm. Review the timing curve in the Chevrolet power manual and taylor your timing curve to that and set base timing per their recommendation. If you are using fast burn heads, there is probably a different timing curve. I have an older 383 with 23 degree AFR heads, so I use the early engine timing curve.

Comp Cams hydralic camshaft, spec's (231` duration at .050" with .480" lift) with matching valve springs, with a dual plane intake manifold those are specs
Sent from my SPH-L710 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Last edited:
That cam likes headers, at least 1 5/8 primaries. You can probably get away with rams horns. Carburetion can be 650 to 780 vacuum secondaries. I really like the factory GM 780 (list number 4053). Auto or manual? If auto, a little stall converter will help (2600-2800 rpm stall). If you look up you cam in the CompCams catalog, there will be recommendations. What kind of ignition? Is this a newer 383 of gen1 block? what cylinder heads? How big are the valves (mine are 2.05 and 1.6, sol i can flow alot of fuel and air).

GM iron VORTEC heads. The block is a 350 with 1-piece seal, The VORTEC iron heads, feature 175cc intake ports - heart shaped 64cc chambers, I'm going with a 2400 lock up stall converter and the carb is a 650 electric edelbrock

Last edited:
Now Chevrolet recommends 32 BTDC of total advance before 3000 rpm for a gen 1 block with vortec heads. Whereas a gen 1 block with traditional 23 degree heads require 38 BTDC in by 3000. So if you want to run vacuum advance, then figure out how much advance the vacuum advance unit adds and subtract from the 32 BTDC. Otherwise disable the vacuum advance and taylor the advance curve to give you 32 BTDC in by 3000 rpm. As a base, you could set timing at 14BTDC with vacuum advance disabled. With timing advanced like that and a traditional starter, you have to use a high torque starter with a starter bracket, or you'll break your starter. Most headers will get very close and sometimes touch the starter, so a starter bracket is absolutely necessary. I'm using a corvette gear reduction starter with a 153 tooth ring gear.

Lol thanx but all this is sounding like rocket science to me I have to start reading up