Header leak won't go away!

turbowrenchhead

Drive like you stole it!
I had my pass side header machined flat and put a new fel pro 1400 in there and it lasted 100 miles before it blew out. I tried using a exhaust cement and it won't seal. The GN1's only have 3500 miles on them.
So my question is. Is there a better gasket available out there? Does anyone make a copper gasket? I can't take the ticky ticky no more. It sounds like sh*t but she goes like h*ll.

I used an unknown type that came in a kit. They were about 1/8" thick and had shinny aluminum finish on the outside.

Even with some loose header bolts, an examination of the gasket showed no leaks!

I may have just picked them up at a small local parts store.

I have been using anti-seize on the exhaust bolts but it seems to work too good. May just dry or even with some lock-tite.

EDIT--->>> Forgot to mention that it seems like the thickness of that gasket I used would be more forgiving to less than perfect sealing surfaces.

I was having the same trouble .. I ended up taking the header off and filing it down, like you said, and then I used the fel-pro gasket, covered it with silicon and put it back together, 10,000 km and it seems ok now! Make sure your header bolts don't loosen off as well, this will cause it to start leaking and once it starts you have to replace the gasket.

I always use ultra copper sealer. The trick is, put it on, bolt the headers back on, then do not start the car for a few hours . This works for me every time. If you do not wait, then the exhaust blows the sealer out, and then you get that lovely tick.