Header gaskets?

I use multi layer header gaskets.

Not only do they last, I've used them over six times so far.

Why use RTV that will burn or blow out especially if the surfaces aren't true.

Not only is the noise of a leak annoying you lose drive pressure also.

I haven't used them yet but I hear the copper header gasket is also leak proof.

I have a copper gasket on the header to turbo mount and it worked great for about four uses before it split.

Last edited:
I always run them and only had them blow out when I didn't go back and tighten the header bolts after a few heat cycles. Some do some dont.

I just about gave up on header to head gaskets,
2 reasons
1- they always leak
2- when they leak they leak a lot more than a set up with no gasket.
The last geskets I am going to try are the single thin copper ones.
After those I am going to listen to good advice given to me and not use any.

Gaskets on aftermarket headers with thick flanges will work but would never run them on stockers.

My headers and I thank you for the clarification. LOL

I never used stock manifolds and can't dispute that claim.

Personally I do not use them on any but to each is own. Not saying one way is right or wrong.

Hi, I'm looking to run header gaskets on my car. I heard remflex is the best. Which vendor has the best prices on them?

Which headers do you have and why are you wanting to run gaskets?

When I ran stock headers and my old kenne bells I never used a gasket on the head to header flange
with great results. Now the triangle header to turbo flange was another story, it warped quite often and i used to use
a oem gm metal core graphite gasket that you could use 4 or 5 times over. very similar to the remflex.

Now with my T/A headers I was less than impressed with the header flanges and just ran the remflex
from the initial build....I am impressed with these gaskets if you need to use a gasket they do a good job.

Header nuts and bolts are just part of my post race maintenance program, they get checked along with a number of other fasteners that can and do back off. I will be trying some of the nordy washers this year.

Stock headers, run on the belt sander, cut between the cyls, hi temp sealer, stock bolts.

I'm done with header gaskets. First pass off of the trailer I wanted to take a conservative pass to gather some data before turning up the boost. After my pass on the return road I hear my car with a huge header leak. End of day. Never again. Never had a problem with orange copper silicone but figured I'd try something different. What a dumb ass move that was...... Just my 2 cents.

Sucks to see you have issues with your gaskets white. I read they are hit and miss here on the board. Been running gaskets for 20 years on all our engines with zero issues. Only time I had a leak was on a set of copper gaskets but that was my fault.