Header gaskets yes or no ?

Scott89TTA

I'm in the middle of replacing my head gaskets and realized there was no exhaust manifold/header gaskets. I noticed some of the vendors do sell them and also the turbo flange gasket as well. Should I be using them or not...some have said to just some RTV copper...what is the preference?

Thanks,
Scott

Gaskets shouldn't be needed when the surfaces are flat. Use RTV if you want a little insurance. Check your headers with a straightedge and make sure the flanges are straight.

Kind of what I thought but figured I should ask...noticed there wasn't any in the service manual either.

Thanks,
Scott

you need felproo 1400's if i remember right. from the factory you didnt need them because the header and the head where perfectly flat. now that they have been removed they wont seal again. You need to use gaskets.

you need felproo 1400's if i remember right. from the factory you didnt need them because the header and the head where perfectly flat. now that they have been removed they wont seal again. You need to use gaskets.

Wrong.

Do not use gaskets. I did and got to pull the headers 6 passes later.

I use a gasket on the turbo to header though and that is easy to change.

Get the headers machined while they are off. Cheap insurance.

Jason

i am in the same boat as well, i have my manifolds and crossover pipe off

im replacing the donuts and should i use gaskets or like you said get the surface of the manifolds machined flat and just bolt them in.

why do stock manifolds use studs and nuts when the all came off in one piece any way?

should i use loctite on the bolts?

when i got my car they had them 4 years ago and i kept blowing them out and now i tried them without gaskets and a little copper rtv and all is quiet. just torque to specs

i guess somethings work for some people and not others. i have been running gaskets on my car for the last 13 years with no leaks or blow outs. my buddy tryed just RTV and it wouldnt seal for nothing. anyways i will always use gaskets.

No Gaskets

I had a bad header leak on the drivers side

I found 4 header bolts kinda loose

Removed the header & found a stock style gasket (partially blown)

Cleaned off the gasket

Checked header for straightness

Used hi temp copper spray on header face

Locktite for bolts is recommended for re-install

torqued to specs and header noise has gone away

if you are going to use gaskets i would use the remflex.i tried the felpro and they just kept blowing out.the remflex gasket are guaranteed for life.

I've had good luck with felpro 1400's. Installed dry and retorqued after putting a few miles on them. I prefer these over the "no gasket" method, which has leaked when I tried it.

My TTA has an exhaust leak on the passenger (turbo) side when its cold, then goes away when it warms up.

Does that mean chances are the headers are slightly warped? Thanks ---

My TTA has an exhaust leak on the passenger (turbo) side when its cold, then goes away when it warms up.

Does that mean chances are the headers are slightly warped? Thanks ---

I had the #6 tube crack on mine which would leak when cold but went away when hot. It was cracked right where the tube was welded to the main flange.

Yet another reason you shouldn't run them :p

Jason

Not sure if I am going to run any or not...it looked like the headers may have leaked some at one time though I never herd any noise? I am doing some very mild porting & polishing to the heads while they are off and wanted to use the gaskets to check the match between the header inlets and exhaust ports of the heads. Just trying to port match and smooth out the runners a little...intake to heads were pretty mismatched but have taken care of that. So far it is going well...scribed the gasket and just blending back gradually. Exhaust ports smoothed and polished up nicely...have not altered the port dimension since I don't have a gasket to match the headers yet. Going to get a set of the Felpro #MS90508 gaskets to check it out...only $7 so if I use them or not it is worth it just for the dimensions alone.