Header gaskets yes or no ?

Not sure if I am going to run any or not...it looked like the headers may have leaked some at one time though I never herd any noise? I am doing some very mild porting & polishing to the heads while they are off and wanted to use the gaskets to check the match between the header inlets and exhaust ports of the heads. Just trying to port match and smooth out the runners a little...intake to heads were pretty mismatched but have taken care of that. So far it is going well...scribed the gasket and just blending back gradually. Exhaust ports smoothed and polished up nicely...have not altered the port dimension since I don't have a gasket to match the headers yet. Going to get a set of the Felpro #MS90508 gaskets to check it out...only $7 so if I use them or not it is worth it just for the dimensions alone.

My dad did the same thing to my headers. While you have them off get them machined flat by the same place doing your heads.

Trust me, if you run a gasket, you will blow them out. Then the gasket material will trap heat and warp the header. Wanna ask how I know? :eek: That was only after 6-8 passes.

Jason

My dad did the same thing to my headers. While you have them off get them machined flat by the same place doing your heads.

Trust me, if you run a gasket, you will blow them out. Then the gasket material will trap heat and warp the header. Wanna ask how I know? :eek: That was only after 6-8 passes.

Jason

Doing the heads myself...I have a new old stock OEM replacement set I'm going to get professionally done next winter...just cleaning up the stockers myself for now while they are off. Like mentioned mainly just port matching for the most part right now.

Scott

You can see how well these SCE copper gaskets worked on my car. :rolleyes:

DSC069522.jpg

Just get gaskets for a front wheel drive 80's Buick. (86 Lesabre 3.0) I got mine at O'reilly's

FWIW my TTA runs 10's easily and I have not had a problem using off the shelf gaskets. The turbo is a .63 housing too. I would avoid milling the headers at all costs, the flanges are thin enough to begin with.