Header clearance issue - Can the lower "ears" be cut back?

Redrum

I would like to set up my 2004R for one person dropping and installation. The problem is in the header clearance in my application (69 big block Chevelle with 2" Hooker headers.). I have to have a 2nd person to help lift and turn the tranny to get it above the headers, even with the passenger side header hanging loose.

If I could cut back the drivers side lower "ear" an inch and the passenger side 1.25 inch I could easily raise the tranny in by myself. I note one side has a hole in it which leads me to believe it is not a part of the engineered structure necesary for the housing structural integrity.

Are these ears part of the structural housing necessary for engineered integrity or are they only designed for application use?

I Sawzalled off the passenger side ear for downpipe clearance on my TH200-4R when doing my engine conversion. I didn't really think it added structural integrity to the tranny but I'm no expert.

I truly cut it off .... probably 2" or more until it followed the lines that were cast in above it and below. With a Sawzall and metal blade it cut like butter. Shavings everywhere.... either spray it with WD-40 to keep the shavings in place or cover/plug critical areas on the trans.

-GNX7

I posted...

this long reply to you last night Mike, and I came back from peeing, the computer had shut down for some reason. I had apologized to you and explained how peeowed I was about your trans issue. I wrote this frickin novel. To come back into the room and see it all gone, I was soo pissed! I just said screw it and went to bed. Man was I hot.
I will cut the ears while it is here. We do it all the time. I still cannot believe that post reply was gone...
Bruce
WE4

Bruce....

Thanks in advance for cutting back the "ears".

You shouldn't be upset for any issue with my tranny until you get it open! I am completely open to the possibility that I could have some responsibility, with the entire vehicle being new and 600+ ft pounds of torque slamming through it. In a weird way I am glad I have had the oppurtunity to learn all that I have learned about tranny's and their installation and removal. This was the first time I had enough confidence to do this on my own and that was due directly to your guidance and encouragement. No matter the outcome of the "hurt" done to the tranny I am thankful for what I learned.

Heck, even being "hurt" the tranny worked fine in drive and got me home! I wish it wasn't so far to your shop as I really would have liked to drive the beast down to your shop!:D