Headed to dragstrip tonight

foregn2

How are you guys launching at 5lbs of boost and higher. I can barely get 2lbs at start and rpms under 2000. I have a stock setup with Trans Ams wheels on Coopers 245/50/16 When I launch higher I get all kind of spinning like i'm doing a burnot almost. Whats the secret.

I seem to launch better just under 2000rpm

If you still have a stock torque converter it will only stall to 2300rpm's. You should be able to build about 5-6 psi with that though. Your factory turbo could be a little sick. Try standing on the brake hard then slowly build boost until you get to 2100-2200 rpm's. you should see 5-6 psi.

Killa-Cotton said:
If you still have a stock torque converter it will only stall to 2300rpm's. You should be able to build about 5-6 psi with that though. Your factory turbo could be a little sick. Try standing on the brake hard then slowly build boost until you get to 2100-2200 rpm's. you should see 5-6 psi.
it will build the boost, just when i launch i spinnig like crazy no traction at all.

Then i'd say your suspension is too tight and your tires too hard. What kind of tire pressure do you run?

Killa-Cotton said:
Then i'd say your suspension is too tight and your tires too hard. What kind of tire pressure do you run?
Got forgive me for not knowing, but I just run it with whatever pressure tireshop put in. I basically run it like I drive it normally no adjustments for racing.

OK then when you go to the strip tonight adjust your rear tires to 25 psi. If it still spins drop down to 22 psi and see how it does then. It should make a big difference. Just don't forget to air then back up as soon as you can. ;) Let me know how it works out.

You need drag racing tires to launch at higher boost levels - at least drag radials. I could launch at 2# on radials, 8# on drag radials, 12# on Hoosier QTPs, and I'm hoping for 14# on my new slicks.

Beg, borrow or steal a pair of slicks and get an airbag in the right spring. You sure your posi unit is working?

Killa-Cotton said:
OK then when you go to the strip tonight adjust your rear tires to 25 psi. If it still spins drop down to 22 psi and see how it does then. It should make a big difference. Just don't forget to air then back up as soon as you can. ;) Let me know how it works out.
Ok results
First time car at the Track 1st run launch no boost about 1900 rpm

RT: .692 hahahha
60 ft : 2.203
330: 6.028
1/8: 9.184 77.55mph
1/4: 14.269 96.02 mph

2nd run launch about 2-3 lbs of boost running a SRT-4

RT: .315 better
60ft: 2.023
330: 5.73
1/8: 8.851 78mph
1/4 13.89 96.65 mph

My car is pretty much stock with Cooper Zeon 245/50/16, RA 93 chip, ATR ram air, adjustble wastegate at 16lbs of boost, Dynmax Ultra Flo no gutted CAT.

I'm almost postive the car can run better with better launch. Also the exaust is a 2 1/2 stainless connected to 2 inch pipes to 2 1/2 muffler to 2 in tail pipes. I dont know why the previous owner did that but when i put the Ultra Flo mufflers on i saw it.

But what do you guys think about the times and MPH.

Pretty good for a pretty much stock car on stock boost levels with radials...now just think look at my times in my sig..it could be you with slicks and a 3inch THDP, adj fuel regulator, and a decent chip :)

Bescurred said:
Pretty good for a pretty much stock car on stock boost levels with radials...now just think look at my times in my sig..it could be you with slicks and a 3inch THDP, adj fuel regulator, and a decent chip :)
What kind of chip you running? Slicks make that big of diff?

Put some slicks on and you will need to change your drawers(if u wear them). You can get a big launch with slicks and 60ft is everything!!! :eek:

tires

Get some good Drag Radials or slicks like everyone is saying. Untill then you will fight traction..

Every turbo car I have seen will just boil the type of tires you have. Unless you really luck out and the track is preped to the max with lots of VHT and hot rubber all ready down. If your spinning you are probably getting wheel spin knock as well, that will put you car into retard and kill the power as well.

Get some MT drag radials and have some fun.

Dennis