Head lights will not come on.

BGarrett

The parking lights work but the head lights won't come on. Bad switch? If so how hard is it to replace.

If the switch is bad, it's easy to replace. Buying it, on the other hand, is going to hurt.

I'd highly recommend building a relay kit that will power the headlights with battery power and just use the switch as a trigger. Since the factory wiring has all the headlight current running through the switch I'm amazed after 30+ years we all haven't smoked our switches.

what goes bad isn't usually the switch that you use to turn them on but rather the high beam -low beam
dimmer switch that's on the top left side of the steering column under the dash

and as earl mentioned if you run a relay to the lamps (they sell a plug and play kit for it that connects at the bulb connector ) you wont burn that dimmer up again

did you do work by the fenders in the engine compartment or by the battery. the black ground wires to the lights are right there maybe loose ?

Yeah those switches don’t really go bad I have had to replace the wiring going to the switch before. I’ve seen burn up connectors. Melted and no headlights or they were working one minute and out the other! I’d inspect the wiring going in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to replace the High/Low beam switch a couple of times. Once when it went I lost ALL my lights while traveling through the mountains in WV. Pulled over and jumped the connector with a paper clip so I had low beams until I got home.

The second time it died I had only high beams.

I have actually had to replace the headlight switch itself once. The on-off rocker on the dash display panel left of the column.

It burned out on a road trip when I was with a few Buick buddies. Good thing the other cars were on trailers. I just hijacked one from my friend's race car. Then replaced his later.

That's the dimmer switch that's gone bad on me a couple of times. I've always gotten it from the local parts store.

the on/ off dash switch has a built in thermal shutoff , if you overload it with higher output bulbs it will flip off , once it cools it returns to normal operation .
the one you swapped out Joey normally would have worked again after it cooled down

the on/ off dash switch has a built in thermal shutoff , if you overload it with higher output bulbs it will flip off , once it cools it returns to normal operation .
the one you swapped out Joey normally would have worked again after it cooled down
Why didn't anyone tell me I was so stupid. Or maybe they did. And maybe I'm just stupid.