Head gaskets ??? Cometic's or 1007's

Hylomar is an independant company now, no longer owned by PTX. It is VERY difficult to find now, the last case we bought took almost 2 weeks to get (I think it is only made in the UK now but I may be wrong) It is a non hardening sealant and very pricey too. The best stuff in the world for sealing headgaskets (coolant) it sprays on clear and sets up to be just a little tacky. You only need to dust the gaskets lightly, if you look at them from the side you will see a blue haze but other than that you wont even be able to tell it is on there. We used it on copper gaskets witth great success, much better that any silicone that gets spread on unevenly.

John (or anybody else), I'm going back on with the SCE coppers on a 109. What is your experience with them?

chris

Hylomar is an independant company now, no longer owned by PTX. It is VERY difficult to find now, the last case we bought took almost 2 weeks to get (I think it is only made in the UK now but I may be wrong) It is a non hardening sealant and very pricey too. The best stuff in the world for sealing headgaskets (coolant) it sprays on clear and sets up to be just a little tacky. You only need to dust the gaskets lightly, if you look at them from the side you will see a blue haze but other than that you wont even be able to tell it is on there. We used it on copper gaskets witth great success, much better that any silicone that gets spread on unevenly.

So what do you use when you dont have Hylomar? Does anybody out there wanna sell me a can? Please Help,
CC

Just bought a set of SCE titan ICS for my stage II, Brian at Weber racing has them on the shelf. They look like nice gaskets and they do have the steam holes if your interested. I went with a .042. Going together as a high comp., twin turbo, alcohol burning stage II. Ill let you know if the gaskets hold up!

Just bought a set of SCE titan ICS for my stage II, Brian at Weber racing has them on the shelf. They look like nice gaskets and they do have the steam holes if your interested. I went with a .042. Going together as a high comp., twin turbo, alcohol burning stage II. Ill let you know if the gaskets hold up!

Ummmm......tell us more!

Dam you guys are behind the times wait till they have these available
. I think some ppl are workin on a new fel pro mls gasket for buick and if its anything like the ford gasket it will blow cometic out of the water . I used plenty of cometics and put em on dry and never had have any issues they might leak a little untill you give em a few heat cycles .

Ummmm......tell us more!

John, I'll give you some more info but I want to go on record and say that this is my first experience with turbos, I read a lot of your posts and this site has been a great source of information but Im not real comfortable with my knowlewdge of turbos or buick motors so I dont post often.
I picked up a stage II motor from a old Bush car for cheap, so cheap that even though I didnt know a thing about buick v6's I couldnt pass it up. I originally planned to run it normally aspirated on NO2 and put it in a 79 RX-7. I started doing soom serching on the web for Buick info and came accross this site and Ive been intrigued by turbo buicks ever since.
This story is getting long winded so let me sum it up:

Motor
Stage II buick
twin GT-63's
13-1 compresion
dawson headers
solid comp roller
C&S blowthrough alky carb (no intercooler)
dry sump

Chassis
Pro street 79 RX-7
14 point cage
4-link Fab-9
29x12 MT slicks
pinto rack and pinion
wilwood brakes
powerglide trans

The motor is ready to drop in and the chassis is getting close, Im shooting for a race ready weight of about 2000 pounds.
Im good at tuning carburators and I dont know anything about EFI so I talked with the guys at C&S and they seem confident the carb will work, besides I love doing things differently. If I can figure out how to post pictures Ill post them.

Nate

I am sure that you have to bump your own head. But having been there and done all that!! 4 sets of rods later doing the run compression cause thats what I have. STOP NOW!!!! LOWER YOUR COMPRESSION !!! this is all I have to say !!! At 30 PSI 9.5 to 1 - 47 passes , 10.5 to 1 - 18 passes , 11.4 to 1 - a burnout with 1 rod out the block and 5 bent all this while on methanol . Now at 7.52 to one with 80 + passes and no issues. please lower your compression!!!! Mike ;)

Mike, good to know! What about running lower boost with high comp and alky? Thanks for the advice.
Nate

Even with methanol you will be boost limited using high compression with the Buick V6. I also have tried 10.4 and 11.27 to one. 10.4 blew at 32 psi. 11.27 blew at 28 psi. All the while liquid intercooled to boot. I am now trying 9 to one and will still be limiting my boost to 30 psi unless I change to a more efficient turbo and chill my intercooler. When I read 13 to 1 a chill went up my spine. Lower it.

Even with methanol you will be boost limited using high compression with the Buick V6. I also have tried 10.4 and 11.27 to one. 10.4 blew at 32 psi. 11.27 blew at 28 psi. All the while liquid intercooled to boot. I am now trying 9 to one and will still be limiting my boost to 30 psi unless I change to a more efficient turbo and chill my intercooler. When I read 13 to 1 a chill went up my spine. Lower it.

The strength of the head can also make a difference.
Do you want an extra set of stage 2 heads from the garage?

my opinion

well dude i can only tell you mike is right im running twin 70s and i got 8:1 comp. and run alky i did in the past run 12:1 by accident and twin 63s and i did one 60 ft dude keep the compression down and make power with boost

The strength of the head can also make a difference.
Do you want an extra set of stage 2 heads from the garage?
In my case, the strength of the head has never been an issue. After preigniting 2 engines and blasting my share of rods out of the block, I am still using the same set of M&A heads. They always came off with a flat surface and the head gaskets looked like new each time. Stainless wire Felpro wireloks with receiver groove. I just clean off the heads and back on they go. The issue of what compression to run with methanol in a boosted engine has to do with staying away from the preignition limit of the fuel itself. For those using engine software, I put the max BMEP at 640 and the cylinder pressure limit at 3200 psi for methanol fueled Buick V6s.

Is there an inherant problem with buick design or is it the way turbos work? Please excuse my ignorance but I know of roots blown sbc and bbc that run lots of compresion and alky.
Thanks for the education. Ive got a couple of sets of pistons, the flattops are in the motor right now but Ive got a set that has a .090 dish on half of the piston and a set with .130 dish on half the piston, any ideas on what comp ratio those pistons would provide?

Is there an inherant problem with buick design or is it the way turbos work? Please excuse my ignorance but I know of roots blown sbc and bbc that run lots of compresion and alky.
Thanks for the education. Ive got a couple of sets of pistons, the flattops are in the motor right now but Ive got a set that has a .090 dish on half of the piston and a set with .130 dish on half the piston, any ideas on what comp ratio those pistons would provide?

I have heard the same. I think I've had a little more luck than the other guys, because I've been intercooling. I do wish I had the answer for you. I suspect that the people running high compression and high boost with alcohol are running very rich mixtures, which would require a very powerful ignition system.

BlownV6 and Turbodragster. What cam durations and lobe separations are you running? I might be on to something.

Donnie, I believe that you are. my blower guy (professional blown engine builder) wants me to be at 300 deg EGT @ idle and 900 deg EGT at end of 1/4 mile pass :eek: needless to say that flat wont work for me!! I am now sneaking into the high 1200 deg on EGT which scares him to death, but he shakes his head at the results. all these big blown setups use massive rods which help with the bending forces going on inside the engine. buicks dont have the room to use these types of rods and I have yet to find an ignition that would come close to the out put of a 44 amp mag (but im working on it) my cam 114 Lc , seat duration @ .020 is 339 / 339:eek: mike