Head gaskets ??? Cometic's or 1007's

BAGN

God Bless America!!!
I've always used the 1007 wire lock with good success. I thought about trying the cometics on my Stage II/Stage II set up. Do they have the 4 small steam holes between the cylinders? How do they compare? Who has tried both & which ones do you like better? Thanks for ant input. :confused:

I have used both. 1007s in the TSM motor and Cometics on the S2. Dont know if thats a fair comparison , but i do like the Cometics better especially since there is no extra maching step to run em.

EightSecV6 said:
DEFINATELY Cometic, the heads and block are to be machined mirror smooth and you wont look back!

What about the SCE ICE Titans?

EightSecV6 said:
DEFINATELY Cometic, the heads and block are to be machined mirror smooth and you wont look back!

I already have the short block assembled. Deck was cleaned but not a mirror finish. Heads are a head shop as we speak, so I can have those cut to a fine finish. Whatcha think.
CC

BAGN said:
I already have the short block assembled. Deck was cleaned but not a mirror finish. Heads are a head shop as we speak, so I can have those cut to a fine finish. Whatcha think.
CC

spray the gasket with a light coat of Hylomar and you're good to go! Sometimes the Cometics will seep a little bit of water to the outside (I have never seen one leak into the chamber) if the surface is not extremely smooth.

John, not familiar with the Titans, fill us in?

I tried to convince myself for YEARS that the 1007's were the best but finally gave up, machined off the receiver groove and put on some cometics. So far they are superior.

If I got a new set of heads with the grooves in them, I'd machine them off without a worry. As a plus, you can get cometics thicker to make up for the machining off the head or deck.

I didn't use hylomar but did use some RTV on the water passages per Tom @ Champion (which is where I got the gaskets).

EightSecV6 said:
spray the gasket with a light coat of Hylomar and you're good to go! Sometimes the Cometics will seep a little bit of water to the outside (I have never seen one leak into the chamber) if the surface is not extremely smooth.

John, not familiar with the Titans, fill us in?

http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html

http://www.scegaskets.com/news/ics-titan-record-horsepower.htm

Sounds interesting, I do not see a stage 2 application, I might give them a call.

PS: Pictures of TTA!!! ;)

Well, I think ya'll convinced me to try the cometics. I got a 4.020 bore. Anybody have any part #'s on the gasket I'd need?
Thanks for all the info,
CC

BAGN said:
Well, I think ya'll convinced me to try the cometics. I got a 4.020 bore. Anybody have any part #'s on the gasket I'd need?
Thanks for all the info,
CC

Thats the same gasket I use. Champion keeps them in stock. I dont have a part #.

BAGN said:
Thanks for all the info,
CC

C5692-060 for the thicker .060 gasket

Gaskets

Hey Chris, Have'nt talked to you in awhile. I just today(Thur.) ordered a set of gaskets from Cometic. They told me if you order direct from them,they will make whatever you want. I ordered 4.030 @ .030" thickness. They said they would ship by next Tue., the point being, you don't have to settle for whatever someone has on thier shelf. Good luck W/your mtr. With any luck at all in the next couple of weeks we will be booking some dyno time. Later, James

Absolutely... the cometics need a very smooth finish. Hylomar is the way to go for coolant sealing issues.

As a testimate.... I crew with a guy that has a 9 sec GTO on the motor. We used to spray the motor before, but now it's all on motor. Have reused the cometics now after the 3rd freshening of the motor. No coolant leaks, no compression losses, etc. These are amazing gaskets. Now that the car runs in the 9's, we're going to spray the motor again and see if we can lift the heads off it this time. lol!!

Hylomar

For my own info. (maybe a few others) What is Hylomar? Is it a brand name or a type of sealant you can buy in other brands? :confused: Where is it commonly sold? Sorry for all the questions,but it's kind of a need-to-know thang. :confused: Any and all input appreciated :) James :)