head gasket

JC89tta

Im guessing i blow a head gasket last night.. my driver side breather poped off and i have oil every where.. my question is should i just replace the drivers side or replace them both, since the top end, is gonna be off? any recommendations on what type of head gasket to use?

just a quick question.. how hard is it to replace it? and is it a pain to re adjust the rockers?

Rockers dont require adjustment.

HG to change... depends which side, and what else happened.. These issues need dis-assembly to go to the next step.

Compression test it.. take it from there.

FWIW, easy side is passenger

ouch.. im guessing its the the drivers side.. because the breather can off the valve cover

Wrong... can be any cylinder. There is no cylinder gasket under your valve cover..just a valvecover gasket. The head gasket goes underneath the head, and blows upward/downward,etc.. typically underneath the intake.. this extra pressure created under the intake is what blew your breather out.

Dont assumme with engines.. its a bad thing. Run a compression test.. if you cannot perform a simple compression test, take the car to a shop and let them do the job.

There is a level of mechanical ability required to do this type of work. Part is patience as well. You need quality tools and perform diagnostics. Not rocket science.. but that level is needed..

Use the search feature.. type head gasket.. and start the reading on three boards..

And after.. you need to address why it blew :redface:

HTH

well thanks for in info! i have the know how.. im just trying to get alittle info.. since iv never really worked on any 3.8.. ill do a compression test tomorrow..and thanks again for the insight

compression test.. right cylinder 6- 110 2 zero 4 110 left cylinder 1 110 5 110 3 110.. so im guessing the passanger head gasket took a dump?

Ding ding.. you have a winner. Pass HG is toast.

Now your options. Get new headbolts from GM since theyre TTYL, or get the ARP's.

And buy the HG, intake gasket, oil, filter, plugs, O2 sensor, lots of brake cleaner, razor blades... have at it. Autozone for the above items.. 6 hour job IF you have the rite tools.

passenger side is much easier, you're lucky in a way. Good luck in the HG change, and keep us updated.

one more quick question guys.. is 110 cranking compression sound about right for the 3.8?

iv got a question.. i ordered the head gasket and arps bolts from summit.. but when i was looking up the bolts under pontiac, i couldn't find any.. so i just oreder the Gn bolts.. well do i need to say more? does anyone know the part number for the tta bolts?

JC89tta said:
iv got a question.. i ordered the head gasket and arps bolts from summit.. but when i was looking up the bolts under pontiac, i couldn't find any.. so i just oreder the Gn bolts.. well do i need to say more? does anyone know the part number for the tta bolts?

Unfortunately, ARP doesn't make a bolt kit for the TTA, and the GN bolt kit will have some that aren't the right length for what you need.

You can download the ARP catalog from their website, and look up the individual bolts to replace those in the GN kit that aren't correct (use your old TTA bolts for reference).

Or, send the GN kit back, and get a TTA-specific kit from John Pearcy. He puts a correct kit together by ordering the bolts individually from ARP. I don't know of any other vendors who offer this.
http://www.johnsperformance.com/

A third option would be to get a new set of the GM TTY bolts instead.

HTH,
Dave