Head Gasket Size

You can, but not a smart thing to do on a turbo build with a 3.80" bore or even 0.030" over bore?

That gasket is very thin between the cylinder bores, and is usually used on a big bore block that has 6 bolts per cylinder instead of 4 per cylinder like the 109 block.

You can, but not a smart thing to do on a turbo build with a 3.80" bore or even 0.030" over bore?

That gasket is very thin between the cylinder bores, and is usually used on a big bore block that has 6 bolts per cylinder instead of 4 per cylinder like the 109 block.
My head porter went outside the scribe circle while unshrouding....my gasket is IN the chamber. pushing coolant out the over flow. no knock. e-100. 18*.18lbs.

My head porter went outside the scribe circle while unshrouding....my gasket is IN the chamber. pushing coolant out the over flow. no knock. e-100. 18*.18lbs.

Then have your head porter replace the heads with a set he hasn't fooked up and make you hole again.

How is it your problem that he messed up, unless you let a novice do it and you didn't pay for said services because you were a guinea pig.

The combustion chamber can overhang the gasket and get away with it... as long as he didn't go past the fire ring.

How are you sure the gasket leak is due to the overshrouding?

Then have your head porter replace the heads with a set he hasn't fooked up and make you hole again.

How is it your problem that he messed up, unless you let a novice do it and you didn't pay for said services because you were a guinea pig.
The gasket is his idea of a fix. I paid full price to a machine shop/race engine builder. I'm tryin. not to be rude or shatty with this guy and get the bad head done over. I have another set of stock irons. Just wanted the confirmation. of what I thought. gettin too skinny between the cylinders.

OK, so the heads are back off. I guess the 4.1 gasket would be a 'fix'... maybe. I s the deck surface good and flat?

The gasket is his idea of a fix. I paid full price to a machine shop/race engine builder. I'm tryin. not to be rude or shatty with this guy and get the bad head done over. I have another set of stock irons. Just wanted the confirmation. of what I thought. gettin too skinny between the cylinders.

Just have another head or set done. You want them to match in performance as well as sealing.

To let the guy mickey mouse it because it saves him time and money should not be a consideration on your part.

You payed for a job to be done right and only you and maybe a lawyer if it comes to that can make him do so.

Don't let him dictate the terms when it was your money that he took with an expectation from you that it would be done right.

Just sayin.

Remember, that money will be long gone quick but you will have the results of what you got for that money a long time, and any problems that may come with it..

Last edited:
Big valve irons flowed 220 he said. He removed a lot compared to stockers. Its just one small spot.
I am definitely not a Buick expert but want to go in there tomorrow and respectfully argue for what I want and sound somewhat intelligent and convincing. I just canr go be disrespetful or I lose.. not enough studs or clamping force for a gasket off a stage 2.....

You can be respectful, just state the fact that your heads should seal with a set of 9441's and shouldn't need a gasket that wasn't designed for your bore.

The fact is he knows he messed up and is hoping that you will buy whatever excuse he thinks he can get by you.

Stand your ground, be nice and explain that he has put you in a worse spot than before he did the work and you want to be made whole. The chamber being opened up past the fire ring certainly isn't your problem and explain that any type of band aid he suggests only poses further problems now or down the road and you can't accept that.

If he is an honest guy he will understand your concerns and will want to make it right, even if it means porting and machining another head or two.

They have to be right [heads] or you will not only be paying him, you will be paying another machinist to do the job again.

Last edited:
Been resurfaced again. The felpro 1000 won't get it. Checked that.

The 1000's are 4.020" just like the $100 cometics they're talking about trying. If he ported your combustion chamber to the point a 1000 fire ring won't contain it, he crashed the shit out of your heads.

Keep in mind those flow numbers based on that serious unshrouding are gone when you stick a cylinder wall in there. It's choked right back where it was (now with a shelf in the way) That 1000 gasket will leave .090" exposed deck area on a .030" engine. Since it won't cover correctly, that means you have over .100" of wall blocking that flow area.

Last edited:
The 1000's are 4.020" just like the $100 cometics they're talking about trying. If he ported your combustion chamber to the point a 1000 fire ring won't contain it, he crashed the shit out of your heads.

Keep in mind those flow numbers based on that serious unshrouding are gone when you stick a cylinder wall in there and choke it right back where it was (now with a shelf in the way) That 1000 gasket will leave .090" exposed deck area on a .030" engine. Since it won't cover correctly, that means you have over .100" of wall blocking that flow area.

X2