Head Gasket Recommendations

Hmmmm ... not so sure putting on what your engine builder wants is sound advice ... .he isn't the one that's going to be changing these out or dealing with the leaks ..

Still don't understand what the hangup is with running Graphites is .. heck they only hold 8 second power :(

Well Richard cranked my new engine up two weeks ago sitting in the saddle or whatever that contraption is, sitting down adjusting the valve’s. Shutting the engine down to re-torque the heads bolts, run it to seat the rings,over a two day time frame. No leaks. I’ve taken the car to him to take the stock engine out and put the new motor in. For anyone who hasn’t seen his shops would shit. 40 T’s and GN’s sitting in the weeds out back, another 50 inside trailer out back. Two GNX in the third shop waiting its turn. 27 GN out front waiting to be work on. Two brand new GNX’s on racks in shop #2. His cars. And one GNX out front,his daily driver. And I could go on. If it leak or anything else he would come get it and fix it. Yes I trust Richard Clark

Well Richard cranked my new engine up two weeks ago sitting in the saddle or whatever that contraption is, sitting down adjusting the valve’s. Shutting the engine down to re-torque the heads bolts, run it to seat the rings,over a two day time frame. No leaks. I’ve taken the car to him to take the stock engine out and put the new motor in. For anyone who hasn’t seen his shops would shit. 40 T’s and GN’s sitting in the weeds out back, another 50 inside trailer out back. Two GNX in the third shop waiting its turn. 27 GN out front waiting to be work on. Two brand new GNX’s on racks in shop #2. His cars. And one GNX out front,his daily driver. And I could go on. If it leak or anything else he would come get it and fix it. Yes I trust Richard Clark

I was out there today to see my newly bored block, pick Richards brain and just hang out for a while. I brought a friend just so he could see the place. I live just over an hour from there.

Last edited:
Hmmmm ... not so sure putting on what your engine builder wants is sound advice ... .he isn't the one that's going to be changing these out or dealing with the leaks ..

(

As someone that used to work on other peoples stuff I can tell you EXACTLY what will happen if a customer told me to do something their way instead of mine when it fails. It wouldn't get done.
and if It did get done to their 'specifications' there would be no warranty or even a non DOA.

In this case, either way is a wash, but I prefer graphites instead of MLS.... But I also know I'm not the one that has to stand behind this engine build.

Moral of the story, if you know more than the engine builder, build it yourself. If you pay someone to build it let them build it.

Personally I do all my own machining and then build my own engines... but not everybody has that option so you have to work with what you've got.

As someone that used to work on other peoples stuff I can tell you EXACTLY what will happen if a customer told me to do something their way instead of mine when it fails. It wouldn't get done.
and if It did get done to their 'specifications' there would be no warranty or even a non DOA.

In this case, either way is a wash, but I prefer graphites instead of MLS.... But I also know I'm not the one that has to stand behind this engine build.

Moral of the story, if you know more than the engine builder, build it yourself. If you pay someone to build it let them build it.

Personally I do all my own machining and then build my own engines... but not everybody has that option so you have to work with what you've got.

Not trying to start a pissing match here .. just stating based on how many 100's of buick motors getting trashed because "THE ENGINE BUILDER" built it like all the SBC they do .. Not saying at all that RC isn't a excellent knowledgebase .. but guys that read this thread and all just TRUST their engine builders maybe in for a rude awakening when their cometics leak and don't seal because prep wasn't done correctly... and for what ?? is there an issue with Graphites ? Do they not hold 9 second power all day ?
Lots of TurboBuicks have gone 10's on stock headgaskets . IF your popping headhaskets .. don't blame the gasket... its because you don't have your shit together tune wise or you didn't clean / prep as needed or don't understand how to use a trq wrench.

this is the problem with things today .. nobody questions the important details .. they just run around with blinders and do things based on what they get told by their engine builder or forum or what they read on some forum ... Guess why there is so many Turbo buicks with DFI, HEADS , CAMS, INTAKES, FUEL SYSTEMS, INTERCOOLERS, STROKER MOTORS that cant even run 10's while some are doing it on stock longblocks .

I don't see what the problem is with going to my engine builder and saying .. OK why do I need the cometics again ? Especially when the factory gaskets have gone 10's in so many cars .... Why do I need to spend $200 in gaskets and an Extra $200 in prep work again ?? There are just as many drawbacks to the MLS gaskets as there are perks.

To the OP .. IM sure things will work out great for you with the Cometics .. but Im also sure had RC suggested graphites things would have worked out just as good.

Last edited:
If you're gonna run Cometics, then do your prep homework. If you don't, then you'll run into issues.

Not trying to start a pissing match here .. just stating based on how many 100's of buick motors getting trashed because "THE ENGINE BUILDER" built it like all the SBC they do ..

That's not an engine builder, that's an engine assembler. There's a difference. Any monkey with a 9/16" wrench can bolt an engine together.

When dealing with an actual engine builder that knows what they are doing, it rarely works out making them do something that's outside of the way they do things.

I know for me, I'll turn down work if the customer 'knows more than I do'. It's just better that way.

Turbo Buicks can seal all day long with MLS gaskets. Hell, I've got USED Cometics in my 4.2 right now. But you can't slap them in and call it good like you can a compostie.

Cosmetic multi layers are great head gaskets I have used RJC but didn’t have as good of luck with them! But neither will hold up if tune is no good.