head bolts

fritz

Need after market head bolts. APR??. The ic set sold bySummit do not fit. Nor does any other set they have. Most of the vendors on this & other sites do not have a set specific to the 84, 14 bolt oil pan.

Need after market head bolts. APR??. The ic set sold bySummit do not fit. Nor does any other set they have. Most of the vendors on this & other sites do not have a set specific to the 84, 14 bolt oil pan.

Stock bolts are re-usable on a 14 bolt (If that is what you decide 2 do)
Surface flatness and prep is everything!

You can also try NAPA, or call ARP direct. Last I looked, ARP's can be found, and must be 14 bolt block specific. (You already know that :( )
I have a set of my old 84 -14 bolt block somewhere you can have if you are in a bind. :cool:

I was not aware they were 14 bolt specfic
I got a set of ARP for a stage block and used only the ones I needed
Worked fine for me
Hell i put about 1000 miles on the car but now the engine is out for a freshin up session
Did I get the wrong bolts?
I do know that you have order 2 sets of the ARP bolts as
the fact is that they consider 1 set just enough to do 1 Head
Like anybody would just put ARP head bolts on only one head:p

Arp

Called ARP & they will put together a (single) set for me. If someone out there would be so kind to measure their OEM bolts
Need overall length
thread lenght

By the way the OEM bolts are torque to yield. Should only be used 1 time
As soon as I get this info, I will post the ARP part #

......... By the way the OEM bolts are torque to yield. Should only be used 1 time

You are correct: TTY bolts should only be used one time.
Mid 85 and later (20 bolt blocks) have TTY headbolts
14 bolt blocks are not TTY.

Glad you found some. :cool:

FRITZ...

no need to call in special #'s and have them make you a "custom kit"...I have already been through this...TWICE!...and yes...I have a 14 bolt oil pan. Summit sells an already assembled ARP kit:

ARP High Performance Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits - summitracing.com

Part # 123-3601 (123-3603 is for the intercooled cars...don't get these 2 confused)
Price - $32.95

It's described as "Buick 3.8L Stage 1 kit", but, bolt for bolt, it matched mine perfectly. Just make sure you also order the "assembly lube" as it's needed to correctly install the bolts.

HTH - John

John84GN

The Summit #123-3601 didn't fit, sent them back.
Still need the dimensional info for OEM bolts(I'd do it mysely, but my motor is back togrther)

whats different about the bolts? im changing blocks (from 84 to 85) so which bolts do I use? do I use the felpro 9441b head gaskets?

Fritz...

You must not have the same block...:confused: b/c mine fit perfectly! They're in the car and I have about 3K on the motor...no problems!

Dunno?!?

Block????

1)i am beginning to that my block is an odd ball. When I dropped the oil pan to change out the rear seal. could'not get the pan off till i un bolted the oilPU tube & let it fall in the pan. Re assembly in the car was IMPOSSIBLE. Ieven had a friend (real GM mech.) to try...didn't happen. I bought a 86-87 PU tube from Postons. Tony said will work no prob. I bolted both up to the block & both measured the same depth from the block pan rail to bottom of PU screen. With the PU from Postons. pan went on no prob.

2) looked for a water drain plug on the side of the block....none!!

3) Now this deal with the head bolts???

I know the original owner of my car. & GM had to swap out the short block in late 84. My gm friend said that it is not all that uncommon for GM to send strange things for service blocks

This car in like a bad wife...just never ends:frown:

ok, im confused...im changing from 14 to 20 bolt oil pan block, the heads are the same, why are the head bolts different?

You can have a 20 bolt block and have deck surface head bolt threads (like those found on an 85 GN or Ttype turbo V6). 85 was the transition year if you will. Typically 86 and later year model intercooled turbo cars have threads that began much deeper in the deck surface( hence a little longer head bolt was used). These are commonly refered to as 109 blocks. They are identified by having water drain plugs between the two freeze plugs on both sides of the block. One of the reasons the engine designers did this was to allow more area to distribute the clamping load, instead of it being concentrated at the very top of the deck surface...If you have a 20 bolt pan and no drain plug provisions on the side of the block, then use ARP bolts for 3.8/4.1 or Stage I(ARP # 123-3601). If you a 20 bolt pan and water drains then use ARP bolts for an 87 GN or Ttype(ARP# 123-3603). The part numbers are right of ARP's web site. ARP | The Official Website of Automotive Racing Products

You can have a 20 bolt block and have deck surface head bolt threads (like those found on an 85 GN or Ttype turbo V6). 85 was the transition year if you will. Typically 86 and later year model intercooled turbo cars have threads that began much deeper in the deck surface( hence a little longer head bolt was used). These are commonly refered to as 109 blocks. They are identified by having water drain plugs between the two freeze plugs on both sides of the block. One of the reasons the engine designers did this was to allow more area to distribute the clamping load, instead of it being concentrated at the very top of the deck surface...If you have a 20 bolt pan and no drain plug provisions on the side of the block, then use ARP bolts for 3.8/4.1 or Stage I(RP # 123-3601). If you a 20 bolt pan and water drains then use ARP bolts for an 87 GN or Ttype(ARP# 123-3603). The part numbers are right of ARP's web site. ARP | The Official Website of Automotive Racing Products