Having problems with my 87 GN.

Matt37

I am not sure what is wrong with my GN.

It ticks once reved up, but does not tick at idle.

Also quit a bit of condensation comes out of the exhaust pipe at idle.

If I leave it idling in the garage for 3-5 mins there is a puddle under the exhaust pipe when I come back.

What is the deal??

Check your oil make sure no anit-freeze in there. I had the same problem and i had a blown HG. Might just be a lifter adjustment.

Is your engine "ticking" when you release the throttle? Does this sound only occur when the engine is cold? Do you know the oil pressure?

Hope this helps you.

The water is normal. The ticking could be from a variety of sources. Do a search and you will see many people have complained about ticking sounds. To name a few: exhaust leak (particularly between #3 and #5 exhaust on ds header), crank balancer making contact with sensor,am sensor wiped lobe on cam, bad lifter, loose converter bolts, wrong serpentine belt (too loose), bad balancer bearing, and the list goes on. Use a stethoscope or a screw driver held to your ear and see if you can isolate the source.

Ive had steam coming out of my tailpipes since I got the car. Plus a popopopop sound under boost. Every other possibility is ruled out now. Im pretty sure the engine has a blown head gasket and has since before I got it. You can blow a HG and not have oil in the water and vice versa. It can manifest in many different ways. Ive also gotten rid of all the ticks, but the one that keeps coming back is the damn cam sensor. Stick a big flathead screwdriver between the cam sensor cap and the block, and lightly tweak the cam sensor around while its idling and see if the sound comes/goes. So sick of that thing. Why didnt they just design the cam sensor as a simple sensor that screws into the front cover and aims at the cam gear? Oh yeah...they had to use a compressed paper mesh resin cam gear. :mad: they could have afforded to press a single magnet into the face of the gear. That would be such a simple and inexpensive, and intelligent system. Howabout just eliminate the cam sensor? Oh yeah, the cam gear drives the oil pump. dammit!

Check cam sensor,exhaust header and cross over tube.Crank pulley for tightness.Whats oil press?type of oil?Could be sign of cam lobe wiping out.Check easy things first.