Have fun with this one! '84 GN? -smile-

I own an 84' Grand National

Wrong interior, no Lear Sigler seats, no bucket seats, this thing has a column shifter. sorry but it is not a Grand National.

so, you are saying that unlike every other GN made from 85-87, Buckets and a floor shift were standard on an 84 GN?
i'm no expert, but it looks "real" enough to me. i guess a pic of the SPID on the trunk lid would sort of settle this, wouldn't it?

I like the shot of the vin. Why include it if you can't read it? And check out the fender emblems. Is it me or do they look like stickers? I'd say it was probably a T-Type, and someone along the way slapped on the spoiler and emblems. Or it is a retag. Someone had a stolen T and got a GN vin at the used and abused yard off of a wreck.

At first I thought may have been a 85 t-type. It's easy to switch VIN's on these cars. But it does have the 84 brake master cylinder setup, which was only available that year right? Definetely been some swapping around somewheres down the line

the hydoboost brake setup was avalible in 84-85 t-types and GN's only the vin he has posted has a 9 engine code so it is a turbo car.
my guess is its a t-type

T-type or not

all arguments aside, the body looks to be in excellent shape. Moving from column to floor shifter is an easy mod. It is however all original, so it needs the 87 harness and coil pack, ECM, MAF conversion, some sort of radiator mod, Intererior, well the list goes on :cool: , basically you are looking at 10,000 or so to complete this car, plus the cost of the car itself, to make it a raped ape. But for someone who might have an 84 with rust issues this may be worth 7,000......My cars body is not show quality, and if it were a WH1 body I would prolly e-mail him and make an offer....maybe 5 or 6.....

my take, it is a 1984 WH1. I had the exact same car. Grey (sandstone) interior bench seats, column shift, hard top, and it was totally redone (Macco) with black bumpers, GN emblems and all that....The options code had the lm9, and the WH1, so right away, I knew the kid didnt do all his homework. But all arguments aside, a GN was avail with the bench and column shift, however, I think that this one is a repro....nice work tho...likes like a fun car for 6G's!

John

Somebody replaced a lot of parts in the interior. The seats are the only thing from 1984. Its hard to tell but the door trim might be 1984 too. Its has the wrong color dash pad and steering column and to top it off it has a gauge cluster from a 86-87 IC car! I'm thinking it was originally a 84 T-Type, quite possibly a WH1 although if it was the firewall should be painted gray and from the crappy pictures it is hard to say. The seats are the correct shade of sand gray for 84 but that dash is from a 85 and newer. They used a dark charcoal gray for the dash in 84. Same for the steering wheel. The 84-85 had hash marks on the tach and the 86-87 had 0-5-10-15. The carpet looks right for a 84 T-T too.

what about the cluster makes you think it's from an 86 or 87?
i ask because it looks exactly like the cluster in my 84..

novaderrik said:
what about the cluster makes you think it's from an 86 or 87?
i ask because it looks exactly like the cluster in my 84..

Notice the 0-5-10-15 numbers on the bottom. That is the 86-87 tach. The 84-85 tach only has 0-15 with the words turbo boost in the middle. Here is a picture of the correct hot air tach.

Attachments

• 84 TR Tach.jpg
    84 TR Tach.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 295
the car has short 84 / early 85 radiator as well.

it also has the 84/85 steering wheel, you can tell because there is more leather and less exposed aluminum on the spokes of the wheel.

TType84 said:
the car has short 84 / early 85 radiator as well.

it also has the 84/85 steering wheel, you can tell because there is more leather and less exposed aluminum on the spokes of the wheel.

well, it IS an 84, so that would make sense...

novaderrik said:
well, it IS an 84, so that would make sense...
:rolleyes: has the wrong gauge cluster for an 84, which doesnt make sense.

this is about picking out the rights and wrongs on this car, did you not get the memo?

well, it's listed as an 84, and has the 84 radiator and associated parts..
i kinda thought people were picking out what was WRONG about the car, not what was right.
my bad.. sorry...
and why doesn't an 87 cluster "make sense", anyways? perhaps, for whatever reason, they wanted the tach and boost gauge, and the car didn't have it stock. so someone put in the first cluster they could find.

novaderrik said:
and why doesn't an 87 cluster "make sense", anyways? perhaps, for whatever reason, they wanted the tach and boost gauge, and the car didn't have it stock. so someone put in the first cluster they could find.

Umm dude, 84's also came with the combo boost/tach. Nothing wrong seeing as the rest of the car is a cluster flup of wrong parts. Maybe it was replaced due to a theft. Maybe the tach was sent out to Caspers and exchanged with the wrong one? Personally I'd say the speedo was replaced to cover up odometer tampering. Another slim possibilty is the original dash was a digital and it was replaced with a STOLEN analog dash from an 87. I've converted dashes before and that is certainly the easiest way to do it. I mean I didn't steal the parts but rather pulled them from a parts car.

turbofish38 said:
. I've converted dashes before and that is certainly the easiest way to do it. I mean I didn't steal the parts but rather pulled them from a parts car.

Simple job. I dont think stolen, but I do think fraud.

Maybe the guy did what I got in my driveway:

1987 buick regal limited....remove all limited/regal badges....remove stock grill...paint all chrome black (last about 6-10 months without peeling) swap interior with GN interior or t-type interior, whatever parts car you have layin around....in my case, the person who put my car together had a wrecked 86 GN, rear end collision/insurance total.......

Interior was sold to rebuild trans, so the limited interior is still intact, hoever, floor shifter (B@M) installed, turbo guage cluster, dash plaque, and guage bezel are all GN. All body emblems are GN. GN hood and grill inserted..... looking at the outside of my car, it has nice rims, ok paint, and from 20-30 feet, looks like a sweet GN.

Ont he inside, total regal interior....has crappy grand 30 dollar steering wheel, blue bench seats, blue carpet, dark blue molding, blue dash, and that's about it....with the exception of the dash plaque and the guage bezel/cluster....it looks like a regal...not even a t-type interior...if I had to guess, without ever knowing, i bet this car came with the wood grain panneling, and the guy just found a bunch of the grey stuff from another regal!!!! Like you said, not hard....

the hard part is doing it right!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• lc2 left side.jpg
    lc2 left side.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 218
You do realize you could get a turbo buick with a bench seat and column shifter, cause you could as long as it was available for the regail for that model year. There are plenty out there that are 87. It would still have the same drive train as a Grand National even if it were a t type. I would venture it was also a limited. Pretty rare actually.