Have current even with key off

#1HotRod

Rotated cars last night so could drive GN to work today. All was ok. This morning GN no power, not even that click click sound. Always have good Optima batteries, but things happen, so hooked up charger. That's odd, overhead & interior lights are on and doors are closed. While charger still on I disconnect positive battery lead, & sure enough no interior lights, re-connect positive & lights come back on. I fiddled with key, tried moving the steering column collar (that does the trick in my older car), jiggled the shifter...all makes no difference. Car has been running fine, no problems last night, & everything under hood looks normal. So power is coming into the cabin but key is off, thus drained the battery. Why? One of those GN poltergeist? Please tell me this is cheap, fast and easy to fix (oh, & how do I fix it). Thanks, do appreciate suggestions.

OMG! Forget I posted that. Problem solved, I'll blame it on the dog. Coming home late last light left puppy in car moment while putting away other stuff, little fellow kinda frisky, & he mustov' run his little paws over dash area & turned on interior lights. My bad not realizing kinda odd interior lights staying on after closing door on a 29 year old car. Yep, it was cheap, fast & easy to fix...& whole country knows my embarrassment. Kinda funny, maybe can start a section on like things.

he mustov' run his little paws over dash area & turned on interior lights.

Sometimes the interior light switch part of the headlight switch will go bad, grounding out and turn the interior lights on.
This happend to my '94 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 2 weeks ago, rummage through my spares, swap the switches and a happy car.

Easy fix at least.

When I bought my car, I found the battery was toast. Replaced it, and it kept dying. Turns out my door switch is bad. Only found this out after recharging the battery and about an hour later I went back to grab something out of the car and the dome light was on.

I've always heard the term "slap the wife and kick the dog for me" as a goodbye from a friend.

Now I now why the second half is there.

Good catch.
D