No crank/no start

BuickMike231

60% of the time, it works every time.
Hey guys, I just spent a while doing some searching on here and got myself more confused. Figured I'd explain what the car did and see what you thought. The last time I had the car out every time I started it the car would crank worse and worse, to the point it was barely starting. This happened maybe four times over the course of an evening. My batter was old and not holding a charge so I thought that may be it. I put a new AC Delco battery in it and the first time I started it it started the same really slow cranking way. After that it was dead. Now when I put key on to accessories everything works, all interior lights, windows work, I can hear the pumps prime, all like normal.

When I turn the key to crank the engine, there's nothing, no click or anything. The idiot lights do flash, and that's it.

I'm thinking it's the starter since it seemed like it was crapping out slowly. I tried jumping it off my daily for the heck of it and no difference. What do you guys think? Starter? Ignition switch? Ground? Cars hardly been driven the last year or so. Maybe a few thousand miles.

Thanks in advance!

If your battery cables are good then I would think starter solenoid or starter. You could try tapping on the starter with a hammer or mallet while someone turns the key to see if it will turn over. Check your wires at the starter and the big ground wire at the block while you're down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of what I was thinking. Cables are good for sure. It was running great until the noticeable lack of starting power which continued to degrade until now.

I had the same problem when I did my LC2 conversion, turned out to be a bad starter solenoid

Okay so you have checked all the fuseable links that ar at your starter? Also you grounds on the back of the head ? Start there

Key switch's are known to fail after 30 yrs..........
Test lite on the purple wire to the starter, turn the key....Making the circuit?

I will check those too. Thanks guys. Would the ground or the key switch give the situation I had where it became progressively harder to start?

Just wanted to update/close this out. Got a new starter and solenoid, swapped it out and the car fired up better than it has in years. Thanks again for the help and just wanted to get some closure to this since there were a few ideas thrown out.

Absolutely! Had the car out four times this week just cruising around. Feels good to get it out again, even though it's super hot here in Texas haha.

Just wanted to update/close this out. Got a new starter and solenoid, swapped it out and the car fired up better than it has in years. Thanks again for the help and just wanted to get some closure to this since there were a few ideas thrown out.

Don't want to be like told you so,....... but told you so [emoji13]. Lol, glad you got it going man, that's a feather in your cap and pride in your pocket.