have 2 turbos what should I sell them for

TurboGTA

1st 1 is a TA62 that is currently on the TTA and it smokes really bad

the 2nd 1 is a PT54 that I got off a member of the turbobuick community and was told it has less than 1,000mi on it

I was thinking about selling both to get a BB turbo

1st question how much could I get for the smoking TA62

2nd should I have the TA62 rebuilt before I sell it

3rd what could I get for the PT54

4th what BB turbo would you recommend for my combo and dream of mid 10's

thanks

Here is what I would do.

On the smoking TA-62, you already know it's gonna need a rebuild, so factor in at least $250.00 - $400.00 that the end user is gonna need to spend. That being said, that turbo I believe used to sell for around $999.99 way back in the day. If the turbo has a large shaft P-trim turbine wheel, the end user could have it upgraded to a TA-66 GT-Q if they wanted. It would be expensive, but it's possible. If it were me, I would try to sell it for $450.00 to $475.00. This would theoretically put the grand total after rebuild at around $700.00 - $875.00, which wouldn't be that bad. The end user might be able to get it upgrade to a TA-63 or TA-64 for just a few bucks more so don't forget that little tid bit of info. The TA-63, TA-64 and TA-66 GT-Q turbos have been good to go for quite awhile now and have been very popular with the stock appearing crowd. I wouldn't have it rebuilt back to a TA-62, as it's gonna be tough to sell it for more than $650.00. If you have to pay more than $175.00 to have it rebuilt, (which typically you will), it might not be worth it giving the 62 turbos reputation. You might call around and ask for an estimate for getting it upgraded to a 63, 64 or 66 tho. You could ask top dollar for a fresh TA-63, TA-64 or TA-66 GTQ that's for sure. Especially with proof in writting of the upgrade from a reputable turbo vendor like Limit or PTE.

On the PT54, that turbo a few years ago used to sell for $875.00 and currently sells for $921.99 according to Precisions current pricing directly from their website. Depending on how long the turbo has been off the car and sitting, the oil inside could have gummed up and or turned into carbon by now. So you have to keep that in mind when selling it and let whoever buys it know the full story. TE-44s and TA-49s typically are selling used for $450.00 - $650.00 depending on condition and mileage on it. If it's basically perfect, I would try to sell it for around $575.00 - $650.00.

On the high side you could get a combined total of $1,125.00 but just remember, there were some problems with the 62 turbos way back in the day. More so with the TE version than the TAs. One of the best ways to sell something like this revolves around your presentation, IE pictures, pictures, pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to selling used turbos. Each post only allows 10 pictures per post so remember that too.

The best advice I can give you, other than have plenty of pictures, is to be 100% honest with everyone you talk to about the turbos. Every Turbo Buick owner/racer who's been into these cars for the past 10 years, knows the story behind the 62 turbos. I had a friend that ran one and had no problems with his during 3 years of owning it until he upgraded. Then again, I've had a couple of other friends who couldn't get one to live no matter what they did. It was really a crap shoot.

As far as picking a turbo for your goals of mid 10's, I would highly recommend the PT6776RS with a .63 A/R turbine housing. This turbo is capable of running mid 10's at decent boost levels with plenty to spare. Not too mention you only really need a converter that can flash stall to 3200 rpms.

Hope some of this helps and good luck with your sale.

Patrick

thanks for taking the time to type all that info for me, I get off work at 7am and then have 4 days off so I'll make some phone calls and see if they are worth anything to trade towards a new turbo and get estimates for a rebuild on the 62

thanks again

I tried selling a BRAND new te44 on here for 623.00 shipped and was getting pms asking if i would take around 500.00:eek:

My opinion, that 62 will be about 475.00 to get rebuilt, so the buyer will have to take that into consideration.

A used 54 is worth around 500.00 maybe more if its in full working order and you give a warranty.

I ended up selling the 44 for 600.00 no shipping needed and have sold a 54 on this board about 4 years ago for 500.00 and it was like new condition.

Prices have gone up on these turbos, but buying a used turbo is kinda a pita if you dont know the guy personally....

Patrick, what hotel are you staying at, i will be at the motel 6 next to the greatest hamburger joint in BG WHITE CASTLES:biggrin:

BW

We are staying at the big monster Holiday Inn. The same one that the Tech session was held at last year and I believe will be held at this year as well. Dave finally broke down and decided we should stay at a hotel with plenty of parking space and plenty of space to hang out. I'm sure we'll be hanging out in the Lounge and the fountain area at the hotel at least a couple of nights. I'll be the big guy driving the Blue T with one of these permanently glued to my face. :D

See ya'll there.

Patrick