Has anyone tried to fix the cracks in their rear spoiler ?

I would advise you not to waste your time. If you haven't done so, removing the stock spoiler will give you a mountain of insight into what "went wrong." You'll see that it basically has rotted from the inside out....so any attempt to "patch" will be relatively futile and frustrating.

My 17k TTA has a perfect stock spoiler although I'm not convinced that will be forever. My 22k Formula 350 had cracks and I replaced it. The total investment wasn't that bad and it a) looks new and b) will outlast the car now (fiberglass). A good painter can match the paint pretty well.

Patching this bad boy is the TTA equivalent of slapping bondo on the rear quarter of a 300,000 mile 79 Chevy pickup driven every day up here in New England. Futile....and it will look like it.

Just my 2 cents!!

I would advise you not to waste your time. If you haven't done so, removing the stock spoiler will give you a mountain of insight into what "went wrong." You'll see that it basically has rotted from the inside out....so any attempt to "patch" will be relatively futile and frustrating.

My 17k TTA has a perfect stock spoiler although I'm not convinced that will be forever. My 22k Formula 350 had cracks and I replaced it. The total investment wasn't that bad and it a) looks new and b) will outlast the car now (fiberglass). A good painter can match the paint pretty well.

Patching this bad boy is the TTA equivalent of slapping bondo on the rear quarter of a 300,000 mile 79 Chevy pickup driven every day up here in New England. Futile....and it will look like it.

Just my 2 cents!!

It's not for my 1400 mile car. That one is perfect. I just bought a 107k mile car and want to give it a quick fix.

A quick fix would be Spackle. I've tried it and it's good for a car show. It atleast hides the black which draws your eyes to the flaw to begin with.

A quick fix would be Spackle. I've tried it and it's good for a car show. It atleast hides the black which draws your eyes to the flaw to begin with.

That's great, hope it doesn't rain...lol, or you could try white RTV to fill the crack (overfill it) and then trim it off with a razor blade once it's completely dry might not be too bad for a quick fix.

the 40 lb saving with the fiberglass replacement over the solid rubber stock one is worth it alone, plus it won't warp either.

the 40 lb saving with the fiberglass replacement over the solid rubber stock one is worth it alone, plus it won't warp either.
I second this one, that whats on my car:)

Just to let you know, the difference between the stock one and a fiberglass one is 13.5 pounds. 40 is quite the stretch.

Jason

ust to let you know, the difference between the stock one and a fiberglass one is 13.5 pounds. 40 is quite the stretch.
I wasn't sure of weight difference, but the hatch lifts about 10 times easier:D

It's not for my 1400 mile car. That one is perfect. I just bought a 107k mile car and want to give it a quick fix.

Twin, am I reading that right . . . 107K miles? or did you type that wrong. I don't think if you added up the total mileage of all your cars would even come close to that mileage.

Twin, am I reading that right . . . 107K miles? or did you type that wrong. I don't think if you added up the total mileage of all your cars would even come close to that mileage.

The car came with 3 Jackets,Owners kit,a full set of Glasses in the box and a ton more stuff. I actually bought it for the stuff that came with it. Not sure what I am going to do with the car. Really just wanted the stuff :D

How's things by you ?

Just to let you know, the difference between the stock one and a fiberglass one is 13.5 pounds. 40 is quite the stretch.

Jason

I thought the fiberglass spoiler was about 12-14lbs...wow only 13.5 difference between it and the rubber one, seems like a whole bunch more. I thought I read on here a while back the difference was around 40 lb's...oh well, you would know since you just did it, good to know the exact amount...worth putting in the TTA FAQ. Like mentioned the hatch opens way better then with the stock rubber one.

Scott

I filled the cracks in mine with white RTV silicon like suggested above for the autorama...have a new fiberglass one that I have yet to install...about to go out and remove the old crack pos now..... At the Autorama, there were several folks asked me how I kept it from cracking....I said " I guess that RTV works pretty well that you can't see the cracks in it :D "

The car came with 3 Jackets,Owners kit,a full set of Glasses in the box and a ton more stuff. I actually bought it for the stuff that came with it. Not sure what I am going to do with the car. Really just wanted the stuff :D

How's things by you ?

Thought there had to be an ulterior motive there. Why not just use it as a grocery getter.

Things are good. Will you be down at the end of the month or are you done with BJ? I'll be there. Not selling anything, but may be bargain hunting.