Has anyone tried Alcohol Injection on a Naturally Aspirated Engine

Madcap86

Wondering if Power Gains can be made on a naturally aspirated engine with the addition of Alcohol injection?

A friend runs water/alcohol on a 64 GTO tri-power and it works well.
Not sure on the power gain, if any, but the car is fast and it keeps him out of detonation on pump gas.

I suspect he has around 10.5 to 1 compression.

One interesting note: We were cruising down the expressway with it on a hot day, and the car would not idle down when he took his foot off the gas. It maintained approx 70 mph.
Looked in the glove box and his pump controller was on for some reason, flipped the switch off and the car idled down.

He was running straight water in it at that time. Somehow the water kept that thing going. Maybe it was the steam effect.

Steve

Originally posted by redhotrod
I'm curious as to where would be the turn on point for a NA motor? Probably WOT?

Yep, a WOT switch or TPS switch at like 75 or 80% throttle works great. I have a friend running alky on his honda at 14:1 compression, and it works great. He's running hondata so he uses that to control the activation, so it sprays alky above 3000 RPM's and throttle above 75%. Works like a charm, and his car runs great on 93 octane. Before that he ran pump gas in the car, but he could not go WOT or he would get bad detonation.

Also keep in mind hondas are different than big bore motors when it comes to detonation. His motor has a 3.3" bore, so it is much less susceptible to detonation than something with like a 4" bore. Normally you can run about 12.5:1 on 93 octane with a honda with no detonation, and for turbo setups you can run 20 pounds of boost with a 9:1 motor on pump gas, and that ain't gonna work with a buick. So i'm not recommending anyone out there to go build a 14:1 383, fill it up with pump gas and try alky, and bitch at me when it blows up.

Originally posted by Steve Y
A friend runs water/alcohol on a 64 GTO tri-power and it works well.
Not sure on the power gain, if any, but the car is fast and it keeps him out of detonation on pump gas.

I suspect he has around 10.5 to 1 compression.

One interesting note: We were cruising down the expressway with it on a hot day, and the car would not idle down when he took his foot off the gas. It maintained approx 70 mph.
Looked in the glove box and his pump controller was on for some reason, flipped the switch off and the car idled down.

He was running straight water in it at that time. Somehow the water kept that thing going. Maybe it was the steam effect.

May have iced up the butterflies. The pressure drop across the slighlty open buterflies can really chill things. Even on a hot day after a WOT pass, some carbs will actually be cold to the touch, for a few seconds. While the water may have been right for WOT, it may have been high enough to saturate the air with moisture.
Or just adding that much more volume as liquid, was raising the compression ratio to where it was dieseling.

Does anyone make a rpm based progressive alcohol injection unit for NA engine??

I have an old unit made back in the early 80's that is rpm based, however it can not work with a high amp (high pressure) pump.

I have looked at Razor's NA kit, however it is not progressive for an NA application.

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin

I havent had enough interest in developing it :(

may just need to make a simple interface of frequency to voltage and use that to drive my controller. As the RPM's(frequency) goes up, so does the voltage output. Just need to make it conditional whereby if vacuum drops to less than 3 inches, TPS is past 75%, and RPM's above 3500 then it starts spraying.

I just dont want it spraying unless the motor is running.

Thoughts?