Has anyone ever.....

Dominic

:confused: Has anyone ever taken apart a 100% untouched 86/87 109 turbo motor and it had NO rear main seal in it and no traces of it being installed or any pieces in the oil pan?

I now have seen 2 with absolutely no seal and no signs of it whatsoever!:confused: This morning i helped a buddy out with a bad oil leak on a low mileage bone stock, untouched, 87 WE4 and it was pouring oil out the rear main, so we tore it apart and it had the stock creamy white-ish sealer on the sides of the cap, but absolutely no rear main seal on top or bottom. I have taken apart dozens of these motors and they all have had that white-ish creamy silicone sealer on the rear main cap so it's leading me to belive this engine has never had a rear main installed. No wonder it never rusted anything underneath!

the rear seal is a rope seal and it just breaks down ... look at the oil pick up screen... there maybe some of it there :cool:

That doen't seem possible :eek: It would puke oil like crazy without one. They all came with a rope seal, front and back.

the rear seal is a rope seal and it just breaks down ... look at the oil pick up screen... there maybe some of it there :cool:

No there was nothing but a few small pieces of carbon on the pickup. I'm telling you there was NOTHING left and NO trace of it ever being in there!.

That doen't seem possible :eek: It would puke oil like crazy without one. They all came with a rope seal, front and back.

I didn't say it wasn't leaking oil like a mo fo :eek: :p YES they do have a seal front and back .. question was have you seen a GN without one .. ya I have had 2 like that .. both had more oil under the car than what was in the motor :rolleyes:

I didn't say it wasn't leaking oil like a mo fo :eek: :p YES they do have a seal front and back .. question was have you seen a GN without one .. ya I have had 2 like that .. both had more oil under the car than what was in the motor :rolleyes:

So you have seen them without a seal. At least i'm not the only one;) I have seen two myself without a seal. One was a core engine i purchased from a cheapo engine rebuilder shop and it had several spun bearings and the oil pump looked like it ran dry, the engine looked as if it was a 5K mile original, other than cylinder wall scuffing, damaged bearings, and oil pump it was like brand new.