Has anyone else broken Richmond gears?

don86T

A few weeks back I ripped about 1/3 of the teeth off the ring gear. It happened on a 20# launch with 9 X 28 slicks. The gears were fairly new they only had about 500 street miles and 30 passes on them. I set them up to specs (kept the backlash on the tight side), the pattern looked good and they ran quite.

Should I go with GM gears or is there something better?

The transmission also broke, I guess do to the shock of the rear locking up. I’ll pull that apart soon.

Thanks,
Don

I broke 6 like you describe. I would call Precision Gear and try out one of thier gears. The did rip Richmond up and down on the phone about thier quality. I have a Precision Gear "pro gear" in mine now, but that is not a street gear. They make street/strip gears too.

Do a search and you'll come up with them.

Ted

Once you 60 foot in the 1.55 or better range it will be common to break ring gear teeth........i would suggest a T.A. rear end cover for added pinion support.

So far as I know, Richmond is VERY HIGHLY REGARDED.

If you used street gears, they are likely misapplied.

Drag gears are softer, so that they can take the impact, but they are not for the street. Like everything else in life, there are tradeoffs.

Better phone Richmond, tell them what you're doing, let them recommend a product, and see how it compares to what you did.

I am using US gear, but I had Richmond gears (3.90) and did not have a problem. When I purchased the 3.42 US gears from Tom's differentials in Paramount,Ca. they mentioned heat treating the gears to add more strength. Might be something to look into.
Jeff

Thanks for the replies.

I didn’t call Richmond because the gears were sold as street gears. I was just curious if anyone else was using-breaking them. I know I beat on them hard (1.55 60ft times on a 3710# car).

What is a T.A cover and how does a cover provide pinion support?

If you use drag gears on the street, do the gears just wear quicker or do they cause other problems? Also do they radius the root and top of the teeth? I would think that would add some strength.

I think for now I’m going to put GM gears back in and I won't be so hard on them.
;)

I'm thinking about going for a drag gears and good axles in the future or maybe a 9".

Don

Originally posted by Ted A.
I would call Precision Gear and try out one of thier gears. The did rip Richmond up and down on the phone about thier quality.

I broke a few Richmonds in my '66 GS, their quality has dropped in the past few years and I won't use their gears again. The Precision gears mentioned above have not had any similar issues though.....

I broke the stock GM gears. Do you have a trans brake? I never had a problem until I raced at a track were the traction was poor and the car would tire hop on a hard launch. The unloading and loading of the rear while hopping is what broke my gears. I put new Jeg's 3.42's in it and all was fine. If the track was bad I just left easier. On a good track though I had low 1.40 60's and never had any more gear problems.

I thought gm gears are the best i have run deep in the 9 on stock gm gears . I never had a problem with the stock gears and 10 bolt . I think you are being a little aggresive on the launch you are only giving up a tenth or 2 by leaving easier . The 10 bolt rear is a strong piece good into the mid eights in a 3400 car i would spend my money somewhere else . Btw they don't make pro gears for a 10 bolt under 4.10 or 4.56 so forget the soft gears .