harley road king classic and general HD questions

j-lantern

Tried posting this earlier but it timed out or something. Anyway, 3rd attempt-apologies if the earlier ones show up too.

I'm thinking about getting a Harley, and went to my cousin, who's been riding since he could walk, for some advice. Now I'm coming to the board for a second opinion on what he told me.

Basically, he told me (with no ifs, ands or buts) to get a road king classic. His reasons (1) I'm 27 and the bike looks freaking cool, esp. with the windshield popped off (2) it is also practical for a long cruise, since it rides well and has the leather bags to stuff a jacket or a change of clothes in, and it has the windshield to pop on for a longer bug killing cruise, especially for late season rides when the weather is cooler and you don't want to get beaten up by freezing winds, etc... I need a bike that is enjoyable to ride for several hours, as I live in NYC and to get to any good riding, I'm going to be on it for at least an hour. (he repeatedly told me that "you can ride that bike at 100mph for 3 hours straight with no problems-buy one and you'll put 10k miles on it this summer");(3) it is respected as a nice bike by nearly all harley circles (in his words, it works for the cruisers and the bar-hoppers), in a way that sportsters aren't; (4) Nobody regrets going big early-why upgrade later; (5) the bike holds its value like most harleys, but is probably the easiest Harley to sell quickly should the need arise; (6) at my size 6'1", its a bike I could handle without a problem but also not one that would leave me feeling cramped (he didn't think that a lowrider would be a good fit for my frame) (7) Chicks dig it; (8) If he had to get down to one bike (he currently has a softtail and a full dress cruiser) he'd get an RKC.
First, any comments from Harley guys on the above would be welcome.
Second, what is the community like? I'm pretty new to bikes, and don't want to be looked at as a city boy yuppie poser. On that note, any tips on etiquette, or a good source for it, would be appreciated.

I think your cousin is right on the money with what you want and your expectations!
I just bought a new Vrod and it was only designed as a cruiser but my Step father bought a new RK b/c he is in the Schriners and he LOVES the bike for everything your cousin mentioned.
For riding plan on getting chaps and getting the smaller wind deflectors that help keep the wind off your body. My V doesn't have any of that and I would not want to take too many long trips fighting the wind like I do now. You will also be amazed at how many people will NOT see you when your on the bike. You have to be extra observent about the drivers around you and try to be in a position that hopefully they will see you w/o trying to look out for you. I prefer a full face helmet for the wind protection but they are harder to see behind you when checking the next lane behind you when the mirrors aren't enough.

hth's
ks:cool:

I am a Harley guy and I agree with everything mentioned except one. Get the Road King with the hard saddle bags instead of the leather. The hard bags will accord you better protection when you get caught in the rain - that is to say, they will keep your gear dry.
I know two people with Road Kings - both with hard bags;
One with an Electra with hard bags;
and three people with Soft-tails with leather bags.
I know of where I speak.
Also, keep the size windshield the RK comes with - don't get a smaller one.
As for etiquette, you can look-look-look all you want, but NEVER touch anyone elses Harley unless you have express permission from the owner.
This one is a matter of personal preference: When riding, it is OK to wave at all riders except crotch-rockets. If you wave at a sport bike rider, then you buy all the rounds for everyone at the destination.

I own a 03 Road King and love it. It has plenty of power, looks killer and rides like a limo on the highway. Truly a bike you will love.

The best part about buying a Harley is the people you get to meet when you go on Poker Runs, I have ran into some really nice people and the events are always great. Music, Food and tons of bikes.

I have put Vance and Hines pipes on it and had the download done. It runs great. Now if I can just stop spending money on Chrome, maybe I can get my S2 done. :D :D :D

You will not regret it. ;) ;)

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know of any boards like this for bikes in general/Harleys in particular?