Harland Sharp roller rockers are a dissapointment.

Pablo

Setting up my heads with some Harland Sharp RRs and the machining is off enough to cause some pretty severe binding when its all bolted down.

The first rocker next to the shims moves freely but the rest are locked up. I can visibly see the roller tips off to the side of the valve tips one way or the other. The thick washer on the other side of the shaft is significantly thicker than the shims on the other side too. Just crappy build tolerances. I am going to have to sand these spacer bits on a surface plate for awhile to get everything to turn freely.

On top of this, there are some pretty significant shards of metal left in the holes from the machining process.

For 500 dollars I think this kind of quality control is completely unacceptable.

And people wonder why all the manufacturing is going to China.

WOW! I had no problem with mine.

Pictures are worth a thousand words though.

D

Built two motors this year both with h&s rockers no problems here! Champion heads on both! Which come with the proper machining to accept roller rockers... Are your heads stock? Are they machined for roller rockers?

Built two motors this year both with h&s rockers no problems here! Champion heads on both! Which come with the proper machining to accept roller rockers... Are your heads stock? Are they machined for roller rockers?

Are you asking if the pedestals have been clearanced for the rockers? Yes.

Upon further inspection I believe part of the problem MAY be because of the bearings not being pressed in all the way into the rocker arms. It looks like the bearing housings might be sticking out slightly on one side throwing things off.

I can take pictures but I'm not sure what they would show other than a rocker stuck in whatever position I move it to rather than just falling to a natural resting position.

So why not just send them back?
I had no problems with mine other that breaking a shaft due to a stripped bolt hole. Can't blame them for that.

I would but I am on a deadline. I need to have the engine together, in the car, and running in less than three weeks. The car is coming with me to Europe for the next three to four years.

I would but I am on a deadline. I need to have the engine together, in the car, and running in less than three weeks. The car is coming with me to Europe for the next three to four years.

You don't have time to make a phone call in 3 weeks?? I have a older set of HS rockers and yesterday I found a broken adjuster screw, called HS ordered 4 replacement adjuster screws...Today 16 new adjusters with new lock nuts showed up at my door.

Just give them a call and give them a chance to make good.

I'm not worried about it, I can correct the problem. Shipping this stuff back and forth is not worth my time. I don't think you understand my situation. I am moving my entire life overseas in three weeks. The car has to be running to well enough to put in a shipping container. This is on top of all the house stuff I have to do. Maybe you are better at moving your entire life to another continent (and building an engine at the same time) than I am.
Even if I had time, its not worth the trouble. A couple hours on a surface plate and cleaning out the metal bits and its all better.

Dude, they're rockers. They are not that hard to install.
I'm willing to bet HS will have a record turn around time if you explain you situation.

D

Setting up my heads with some Harland Sharp RRs and the machining is off enough to cause some pretty severe binding when its all bolted down.

The first rocker next to the shims moves freely but the rest are locked up. I can visibly see the roller tips off to the side of the valve tips one way or the other. The thick washer on the other side of the shaft is significantly thicker than the shims on the other side too. Just crappy build tolerances. I am going to have to sand these spacer bits on a surface plate for awhile to get everything to turn freely.

On top of this, there are some pretty significant shards of metal left in the holes from the machining process.

For 500 dollars I think this kind of quality control is completely unacceptable.

And people wonder why all the manufacturing is going to China.
Are you sure the spacer tubes areninbthe correct location or that they are the correct spacers for the heads you are using?