Hardware for mating thdp to Ta 49

jopaustu

What are you guys using to mate downpipe to turbo? Thread,length,grade,etc.. doing a mock up and realize i don't have the hardware.

Attachments

• 1428613248886.jpg
    1428613248886.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 140
Alright. This is what I have come up with. 5/16"-18 ×1 1/4". And I run the tap for the thread and they seem to be a nice match.
Next question. Permatex ultra copper is the only gasket I will need?

It's 8mm standard thread don't use 5/16"

And I use studs into the turbo housing and nuts.

Those studs in the pic. are intake studs from some GM car my mechanic had they have a reverse torx thread for easy removal, I use 2500 degree never seize installing them into the turbo exhaust housing itself but you really never have to take them out.

If you can't find nuts with a flange just use regular nuts and lock washers and add a few mm to the bolt lengths.

A search should have most of the information for bolt sizes and lengths somewhere on this site from days gone by.....

So how bad did i mess up with the 5/16" :( ? I have already cleaned it up with the tap and run some bolts in to check. They went in very easily before I clean the threads up with the tap. I do not have a vast knowledge on this particular subject. I do appreciate all the help sincerely

So how bad did i mess up with the 5/16" :( ? I have already cleaned it up with the tap and run some bolts in to check. They went in very easily before I clean the threads up with the tap. I do not have a vast knowledge on this particular subject. I do appreciate all the help sincerely
No big deal. You can remove the turbo and drill/tap for thread inserts. Then use the correct bolts/studs. They are 8x1.25mm. Stainless socket head cap screws are the best after thread inserting. Add anti seize to the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're almost the same bolt so try whatever fits the best you may not need the inserts.

The torque spec. is pretty low 18-20 ft. lbs. I believe...

The surfaces must be flat for best mating or it will spritz charcoal on your shiny oil filter.

If not flat some vendors used to make composite thin gaskets for the lazy people like me to use.

They last about 10 years or so on a daily driver before they burn through and need replacing.