Hard up & down shifts at operating temperature, kinda long

Nasty

empty wallet
When I first got my car, I found the trans to have a extremely harsh up and down shift. After removing the pan, finding lots of gold & silver in the pan and ALL the forward clutch material I knew it was time for a rebuild.

I bought CK's book, billet forward drum, rebuild kit, ft pump, converter, etc (already had the big servo in it). I did the work myself and have to say it seem to come out ok, other than the tc sol and gov spring gave issues shortly after. What did not change was the hard up and down shifts (almost like it bangs). I found remains of a trans-go and another shift kit in the valve body during the rebuild. I did CK's setup with dual feeding and all. One of the valve body springs was apparantly replaced at one time with a short stubby stiff one-the location you would find the trans-go tag in if that makes sense to anyone. I forget the correct valve/location-its been more than a year. I figured this was the cause of the hard shifting...and may still be so.

What I noticed though is it seems when I start the vehicle cold and take off/stop it feels smooth with expected firm shifts. After the vehicle is at operating temps (170 or so) it shifts very hard in the lower gears. Under hard acceleration it feels like nice firm shifts, to make this clear it only shifts or more like bangs up and down through the lower gears under light/normal driving when the vehicle is warmed up. Any advice or ideas to what is going on would be appreciated. I would like to replace that spring with a stock one if I new where to get one, even if its not exact but something closer to the original. The thing in there now is the tiny short thing. I am starting to drive this dailey now, and have a few hundred miles on it and that hard shifting can be good.

Thanks for reading!

Mine acts similarily....Mine's a fresh PTS Extreme w/ Billet internals. I was having all kinds of problems, so Richard Clark (Guys a genius with these transmissions and I'm lucky to live nearby) took my Valve Body apart, found a few suspect issues and repaired. It shifts a million times better, but acts similarily to yours....WOT shifts smooth...Light driving shifts hard. I just figured it was the nature of the beast with these trannys.

Mine does exact same thing i had it rebuilt with all the right parts and a street / strip shift kit. Shifts nice and smooth in the throttle but just slow speeds its a hard shift. I took my other gn in to have it rebuilt it drove nice and smooth then seemed like e-brake was on when driving so come to find out it had a 9 1/2" fairbanks converter that exploded. So while i was there i told him problem with the shifting and he said thats the shift kit in it?

I wonder if thats the deal with that little spring, those add on shift kits might be the cause? I hate it, maybe one of the guru's can chime in...also maybe they could point me in the direction to find one of those springs! :)

I know you said you had an issue with the TCC solenoid before, but it sounds like the same deal now. Have you tried unplugging it & see how it shifts?