Hard to start when it's really cold outside

Bigjack7440

When it does start it idles up and down. I think the 02 is shot. I have not changed it after that 116oct 2 months ago and my MPG has droped to 11/12 !!! It runs fine after about 30sec or less . 87GN with alot of stuff$&);:($$$$$&$&$)$$

O2 sensor doesnt matter until the car enters closed loop. What are your temp sensors reading before you start the car?

O2 sensor doesnt matter until the car enters closed loop. What are your temp sensors reading before you start the car?

i was about to say the same thing
or you might not have the throttle blade set right thats is the big thing that seems to always be set wrong

The temp gauge is on the bottom , like 100deg. I have never touched the T blade. Only does it when I 1st crank it in the morning and only when it's really cold out like it's been in the last week or so. If I push the gas with my foot about 10percent it cranks right up but stil idles up and down for about 30sec then runs fine. I have noticed that if I hit F/T it goes but if I ease into it like leaving a redlight it stumbles a little. But if it's warm say 50deg it's cranks right up . I think your right about the T blade and I might I tweaked it with blow off from the 6262BB ???? Also fuel psi when I turn the key on in the morning is at 20psi but when it cranks it goes to 40psi . It use to hit 40 as soon as I turn the key to acc. It hits 63psi at 25lbs of boost. Car is fast when up WOT . Let me know if you guys need to know anymor info

do the basic idle relearn or at least check it the iac maybe bottom out when it is first started

air temp sensor tells the ecm out side temp,this will either and or take fuel out for cold starts. like a choke on an older car

H
air temp sensor tells the ecm out side temp,this will either and or take fuel out for cold starts. like a choke on an older car

Sounds like that could be the problem , the one on the car came from salvage yard, when I switched it over to 86 ecm. Can it be tested or u just replace it?

The primary driver for cold start enrichment is coolant temp not airtemp. But to the OP. You don't need to know what your gauge sees you need to know what the ECM sees. Presumably you have a scanmaster or other tool. Look at the Values CLT and ATS and post them up

The primary driver for cold start enrichment is coolant temp not airtemp. But to the OP. You don't need to know what your gauge sees you need to know what the ECM sees. Presumably you have a scanmaster or other tool. Look at the Values CLT and ATS and post them up
yea im using a monitor 4000e, coolant temp-78, o2 volts .50v, tps .42v, IAC 150, blm 128, int 128, mat 82, maf 003, lv8 000, does that help? thanks

these reading are with the car cold and key on.

yea im using a monitor 4000e, coolant temp-78, o2 volts .50v, tps .42v, IAC 150, blm 128, int 128, mat 82, maf 003, lv8 000, does that help? thanks

these reading are with the car cold and key on.

Looks pretty normal for a day in the Mid 80's with a cold engine. Sure doesn't look like the ATS to me. Hunting idle on the cold start sounds pretty normal to me as well.

one more thing

I have a air/fuel meter on the car, I noticed that when I turn the key on its pegged all the way to the top, so I guess the computer is leaning it out, so would the oxygen sensor be giving this reading?

What is the IAC reading when the car starts? It should be higher than settle down as temp rises.

IAC controls how much air is getting into the motor bypassing the throttle blade.

What is the IAC reading when the car starts? It should be higher than settle down as temp rises.

IAC controls how much air is getting into the motor bypassing the throttle blade.
It was at 150 when it started, gradually went down, stopped at 65 for a while started going down now it @ 46 temp @ 167

The magnavox style ignition coil can get weak when its cold. Check to see the quality of spark when its cold enough not to start.