Hard to start when cold only

TurboTdr3.8

This is on my 87 Stock TB with new fp and hwire kit and injectors and 5.7 chip , wire, plugs and TR6 , I am trying to figure out what I have , turn key the fuel pump runs 2 secs and fp is fine and then proceed to start car it turns several times too many till it bust off and then it runs perfect no load up or missing , can I still have fp relay bad doing this or the oil sending unit is doing it . The choke lite goes off just soon as I start turning to crank it . Any suggestions where to look , now after it runs it cranks great after warm or hot .

Oh, OK, I thought you were running the SD2, weren't you? Why the change?

Oh, OK, I thought you were running the SD2, weren't you? Why the change?
I was but changed back to the mass af and 5.7 chip , I wanted to do some trip driving and seems that the maf and 5.7 chip run better all around but I am going back to it this spring and get all the kinks out of it .My other car has the SD2 chip in it and it does good but I just drive it raising some hell and cruise ins .

Same here on a MAFTpro setup. I had to pedal it to get it to idle. My cam probably doesnt help.

I was but changed back to the mass af and 5.7 chip , I wanted to do some trip driving and seems that the maf and 5.7 chip run better all around but I am going back to it this spring and get all the kinks out of it .My other car has the SD2 chip in it and it does good but I just drive it raising some hell and cruise ins .

Well, if you were running the SD2, I'd first advise to add some cold start fuel. For example, I've had to add 8% to my cold start parameter.

Well, if you were running the SD2, I'd first advise to add some cold start fuel. For example, I've had to add 8% to my cold start parameter.
I wished it was that easy , seems the cooler weather is harder to start than warmer weather witch makes me believe its fuel problem or enrichment from the chip is off . My iac is reading 140 before starting so that is fine on that part .

I found this info on the net , wonder it that is what I am experiencing but my TR6 has not give me a code of that problem ?

Symptoms
  • A failed camshaft position sensor will show up in a number of ways. The worst-case scenario is that there is no spark in the combustion chamber. Other symptoms related to the position sensor can include excessively long cranking time when starting cold, rough running on an intermittent basis, poor idle, stumbling or hesitation, a drop in mileage and stalling upon acceleration. These position sensor trouble symptoms may also be caused by a failure in the wiring of the sensor

Many plugs are fouled out on winter/cold starts.....be aware..

So once it starts it runs fine?

Is it excessive cranking or just a couple more cranks?

Rick

So once it starts it runs fine?

Is it excessive cranking or just a couple more cranks?

Rick
Yes when it cranks it runs perfect just seems to turn several times too many to get a running to me . I just drove the car to the Nats and back and got 22 mpg about 900 miles round trip so I am not afraid to go anywhere in it , it just makes me believe something is going out or not up to par but it is not giving me no more symptoms than extended cranking only when cold , I was hoping someone had the similar problem and could relate . The iat and coolant sensor read ambient temps before cranking also .

Maybe the cam sensor is just a touch too far advanced or retarded?

Sup bud hope you had a good holiday.

Sounds like the fuel pump is giving the initial rail prime.
Did this issue pop up with the non SD chip change or it does it with either?
Is your battery in good condition?
What is your cold key on volts on the scan master?
Check security of mounting/connections on the crank sensor and battery cables (ground on the front of the block and starter pos) as well.
But if cam sensor has never been checked I would for sure double check it cause it could be off some and would be a good time to check the reluctor wheel under the cap to be sure its still secure.
I would think a cam sensor adjustment wouldn't have a only cold start problem since its still telling position for the ecm cold or hot tho and you would think it would be a hot start longer crank as well.