Hard Starting

Duff73

Quick question guys, well maybe not so quick. Weather has been getting better and decided to take car out last couple days. When starting the engine likes to crank for a good 3-10 secs before starting. Sometimes it'll crank for 5 secs I then have to shut down, let it sit for 10-15 secs then crank again and it will start. Seems to be doing this alot lately. Car does eventually start just cranking way to much for my liking. When it does crank it sounds very strong I'm thinking maybe fuel problem or injector? I know there's not a whole lot of information here that I can provide but car is entirely stock. I've been running it regularly through the winter maybe every 3rd day.

I'd check gntype.org but they are moving the server this weekend so not a whole lot of information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BIll

I'm not a very good troubleshooter, but I'll take a stab at it. My philosophy is to start replacing cheap parts first and borrow other guys known good parts to figure this stuff out.

I would start with a fresh fuel filter. Then put on a fuel pressure gauge and verify that you're getting enough fuel pressure when you turn the key on but don't start the car. You should hear the fuel pump energize. Then crank the engine while watching the FP gauge to see what happens. If weak fp the fuel pump may be ready for replacement especially true if still stock.

Other item to consider is the fuel pressure regulator.

After testing out fuel delivery, which I agree with you that it probably is the problem, then there ignition. Don't forget key sensors on our cars like the crank sensor and cam sensor.

Thx

Thx Dan,
I'll play with it some this week. I'll post up some more information as I play with it if its still being stubborn.

Good advice Dan....

Cheap way to check fuel without spending any $$ would be to turn your key on (to run position) for a few seconds, turn off, then turn on again and start. This will get pressure to the rail and if it starts, it is likely your fuel system is bleeding down as Dan mentioned.

HTH....

Filter

Well I finally got the new fuel filter on last night. I had to use a half can of PB Blaster to get the fittings loosened to get it off. Should have seen the crud that came out of the thing. Soon as I got the new one on car started right up. I'm going to go ahead and grab myself a fuel gauge and scan tool for future use. I wanted to thank you guys for the replies. Hopefully I won't have any other issues.