Hard start when cold

UPDATE

This is crazy but I think I have a leaking injector(s). I say "crazy" only because I just had these injectors cleaned and inspected for leakage (supposedly). That, and I also tried a brand new set of those Deatschwerks injectors and the problem was still there. Keep in mind the Deatschwerks injectors are a totally different nozzle design and haven't been on the market that long. So, to me, they aren't a proven piece.

As you may recall, my fuel pressure bleeds down to almost zero but never really quite bottoms out to zero...all within 30 minutes. I pulled plugs several times after fuel pressure bled off yesterday and number six piston carbon build-up looks 'moist' and plug comes out smelling like fuel...only for a second or two and then it dissipates. Kinda like one of those, "Did I smell fuel or just imagine it?" I even had my neighbor do the smell test and he thought the same thing too...smelled like fuel for a second, now it doesn't. Plugs looked dry...but the fuel has got to be going somewhere right? So, I grab my vise-grips...the ones that have the long parallel jaws and fab up a makeshift hose clamp off tool out of some spare hose. Clamped the feed AND return lines off right at the frame under the power steering pump and guess what? Pressure still bleeds down at the same rate and I don't see any signs of external leakage anywhere in between. The only hole in the this new theory now is that I somehow failed to pinch off the lines tight enough with my makeshift clamp and fuel still was able to leak down into the tank due to a bad check pump check valve. But let me say, I pinched the hell out of those hoses and they looked squeezed shut to me. For now, I ordered some of those small clamps that are designed specifically for clamping off fuel lines to be completely sure.

FWIW, in the past two days, I pulled my cam sensor, reinstalled my old one for shits and giggles (I have at least one backup for every sensor on the car) and used the Caspers cap to play with the advancing/retarding of the sensor. I was able to turn the cap to the extreme CW and CCW and the car acted no different overall. This leaves me on the fence as to whether tweaking the cam sensor actually does anything to affect fueling. I'm leaning more toward it doing just the one job of telling the ECM where the #6 cylinder is...and that's it.

I'll update after the fuel line clamps come in. I would hate to be wrong and have three sets of perfectly good injectors, lol. However, the signs and symptoms of leaking injectors are there. Since the fuel pressure isn't dropping off immediately, perhaps the injector(s) are just barely hanging open, allowing fuel to weep out just enough to drip down and cause the startup issue. And maybe the injector cleaning company failed to spot a weeping injector(s) during testing.

UPDATE #2

Leaking injectors. The #1 and especially the #6 are leaking. I pulled the rail, secured the injectors and pressurized the system. All of the injectors were wet with fuel but the #6 injector was visibly gathering much more fuel on the tip and enough to cause it to drip once or twice. It's not visible in the video, but you can see the fuel actually 'swirling' on the tip of the injector when viewed with the naked eye up close. I imagine the evaporation rate of the fuel as it trickled out made it look less prominent. Fuel was visibly pooling on the #1 injector tip as well. The rate of the fuel pressure drop seems in line with how much fuel is leaking out. Also, the rate of fuel pressure drop off is more pronounced when the engine is warm and usually drops to near zero within 30 minutes. I suspect when the injectors leak in an airtight environment, the pooling of fuel is much worse.

More info: Wrapped plastic baggies around each injector to create an airtight environment. Every injector except for the #3 injector had a drop of fuel on the tip after the rail bled down to about 10psi. Just for information's sake, I attached the supposed injector test stats that was sent back with my injectors after being cleaned. It is possible that whomever performed the test did not notice any leakage unless they were to have left the injectors on the machine and closely observed them over a period of several minutes. Highly unlikely they did this...I probably would not have unless specific instructions were given to observe for such a condition.

injector_test_results.jpg

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine does the same thing on startup. I can see the fuel pressure slowly bleeding down over 30-45min after the engine is off. I also discovered my base FP was about 5lbs lower than it should be (38 instead of 43). When I readjusted it back up to 43, the car started fine for a day. The next morning it did the same thing again at startup. If I crack the throttle open it starts right up. This led me to readjusting the IAC & TPS. I gave the screw on the throttle body a little less than 1/2 a turn in which opened the throttle blade slightly, bringing the IAC cts down form 20 to 0. That raised the TPS volts from .44 to .46. Then I moved the TPS to bring it back to .44. This seemed to help, yet I'm still concerned about the leak down of FP and how to fix it.

if it leaks down fast then the regulator diaphragm needs to be looked at. or your injectors are leaking.

UPDATE:

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. Got my new injectors from Eric at TurboTweak and threw them on two days ago...problem solved. Car starts right up every time. This was such a PITA to pin down but I'm glad it's over with. I guess maybe the 60s get worn out after a couple of years? Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised if the issue starts presenting itself to others. I went with the 60s maybe a year or so after they became available to us...maybe '06/'07. I'll have to ask Eric when I first ordered from him.

Glad you got it fixed. I think the injectors are prolly the worst case in this scenario.

I'm going to start by checking my regulator first. I read they can leak past the adjuster's threads as well?

Bringing this post back for one last update: Turns out the injectors were only 1/2 of the issue. After still suffering from a hard start issue after the new injector install, I found the rest of the problem by accident. Here it goes (long story short): I had a serpentine belt squeak that I determined to be a wobbling alternator pulley from a $300+ Powermaster alternator. Put my stock alternator back on and noticed after a few days that the car started up like a champ. Been rocking steady ever since. My guess is the Powermaster alternator caused some sort of voltage surge, or something, upon startup, which interfered with the cam/crank signals at the ECM. That being said, my voltage readings are steady as a rock, as opposed to when the Powermaster alternator was on there. Also, my battery charges to a full 12.6-12.7v, as opposed to 12.3v.