Hard Cold Start

89paspsi

Guys,

Looking for some advice & pointers concerning a TTA hard start problem:

Stock Fuel Pump, FP Reg, & Injectors. (Thrasher 92 chip)
Car has been in storage with Fuel stabilizer, was fine last fall. Have now run injector cleaner through a couple tanks of gas. 23K miles

After the car sits overnight, it takes at least 10 attempts to get the car running. Once the car "clears it's throat," it runs fine and re-starts fine. Hot re-start has NOT been and issue. Once running, the car idles silky smooth and runs strong.

Car smells rich at cold start up. Blackish smoke comes out the back for just a couple seconds.

At the first cold start attempts, I now hear a buzzing noise going through the FP Regulator. I'm guessing this is the fuel rail pressurizing. My initial guess was this was due to the system re-pressurizing from a leaky injector or leaky fuel pump check valve. I thought the buzzing might be from the FP Reg diaphragm vibrating & re-bleeding, along the lines of the vapor lock scenario. There doesn't appear to be any gas in the vac line at top, so I think the FP Reg is ok. After running, the car can be re-started and the buzzing in the FP Reg goes away. Also after energizing the key and fuel pump several times, I can make the buzzing come and go on cold start.

Also on cold start, it sometimes sounds like the IAC is "ticking" or "clicking." Similar to above, I don't notice this problem on hot re-start.
????

Fuel Press Leak down results:
41psi @ key on energize
32 psi @ 4 minutes
24 psi @ 10 min
18 psi @ 18 min
18 psi @ 22 min
(Engine running vac off 44-45 psi) - OK
To be honest, I was expecting worse leakdown values. This makes me wonder if it really is a leakdown issue.

All plugs appear black and sooty, but have been in for at least 10K miles. Now has fresh R42LTS's gapped @ 0.034".

To top it off, the car also threw a code 41 (camshaft sensor) & 42 (EST). Camshaft sensor has never been adjusted. Coil pack is the original factory unit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Is their any blue smoke when you first start it?? If so sounds like leaky valve seals...oil leaks through them slowly at night and makes it hard to start in the morning, but after you burn it out it has to sit all night to do it again.

First off, thanks for the suggestion.

I have seen the leaky valve guides before, particularly on the TPI cars. From what I've heard, it is mostly just an embarrassment on start up. I haven't heard it being linked to a cold start problem???

In my case, the smoke smells fuel rich and is more of a dark color. (Although I do have the anti-theft thrasher)

I haven't tried the isolation pinch test on the fuel lines since the FP doesn't seem to leak down that fast in the first place.

At this point I'm going after the injectors. Hopefully I'll have good news to report back.

I've searched the archives here and at GNTTYPE. I see similar case histories, but not the same thing I have going on.

- Dave

I have seen a leaky valve seal be bad enough to create a hard start condition, but it has to be pretty bad...Like it has to totally coat the combnustion chamber...Just a suggestion though, Hope you get it figured out.

It wouldn't hurt to check that cam sensor.

While it's having an episode, check for spark and fuel.

Bo